Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Indian Burial Ground Trip

Ray / Gary,

I did call Zip Dee and it was like I was talking in a foreign language. At first the guy said, "No, we don't have a fix for that. It just happens sometimes." To which I said, "Ok, you want me to post on the Internet that I called the self professed gurus of awnings and their answer was 'Tough shit'?"

Then he changed his tune and offered to carry my dilemma to the engineering department. I told him I would forward him some photos, but I had already envisioned something like Gary has described. If you don't mind sending a photo of that, I would be curious to see it.

I also complained that in the slightest of breezes, that particular awning wants to roll up on one side. It's like it needs dual tie downs on it, but I am not in favor of drilling two more holes in the side of the coach to accommodate the hooks. My point being, I don't think the spring tension is the culprit here either. If I tighten it up to keep in locked in place, then you would think it would compound this problem.

The old saw about a Zip Dee awning being able to handle any weather you can sit out in is bogus. A little stiff wind causes mine to shake like a dog crapping a peach seed.

Please keep us posted as you learn more. I'm concerned about mine. I noticed when I put the drivers side awning up (first time I'd used it) at Anaheim, I had to actually push it up with the handle a bit before the spring had enough tension to start rolling it in.

I kinda assume I need to tighten the spring. I am also thinking that a weak spring there would make it even easier for the wind to whip it out while driving.

Ray

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Tuga,

I don't for sure, but I've been told to convert my current bus from ZipDee's to Girards would be on the order $30 to $40K. Way too rich for my blood. I just want a proper catch to prevent awning issues when driving in high wind areas.

Ray

Wow!

Ray if you are interested in finding out the cost from Girard try calling Gary at 949 259 4000. They will sell directly to you. I can't imagine it costing that much.

Hope this helps!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

I'm still cracking up over the peach seed!

Default Awning Lock

JDUB: Have you got something like this on your awning? I stood on a chair with one foot & the other on the tombstone to get this picture.

It is glued to the glass. One on each end.

You have use the little metal rod with the hook on it to lock and unlock it. It hasn't come apart while in transit yet.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

JDUB, please post a picture of the dog. No, never mind.
    Speaking of dogs, we're over in Dallas for the Dallas Safari Club show and I got wind of a Cavalier Spaniel show down the street at the Raddison. Off we went and I'll tell you the truth those are some mighty fine dogs. They were having the puppy show tonight and I just think I'm gonna have to get me one of um but none of these breeders have just the right one, yet.
    Next time any of you all see Jan, ask her how the concealed hand gun class is coming along. She is a pistol packing momma and I am for sure on my new best behavior.

Default Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by rfoster View Post
    JDUB: Have you got something like this on your awning? I stood on a chair with one foot & the other on the tombstone to get this picture.

It is glued to the glass. One on each end.

You have use the little metal rod with the hook on it to lock and unlock it. It hasn't come apart while in transit yet.
    That is what I have as well. Its on the windows for both the front slide room and the back slide room, drivers side.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Roger,

That has to be the solution. But is it a CC or Liberty part? The Zip Dee guy I talked to never offered any such solution.

Mel,

Last edited by Jerry Winchester; 01-10-2009 at 06:26 PM.