Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: math class time

Lightbulb

Some other things I have found with medical ins, is that if you are or plan on being out of your state of residence/domicile, you need to find a company with a plan that will cover you out of your home state, also once you are labeled with a medical condition it is much more difficult to "shop" the ins co's every couple years for better rates.

JIM

Roger,

I'll thank you not to bring a simple and well meaning mole down to the level of a crazy Dutch engineer. We do have our standards. Incidentally, it's rumored that Peter has been known to commit murder on my near and dear cousin, the Raccoon (of Daniel Boone fame). This should be of significant importance to a good old Southern boy.

Dale, I think you should move this topic to a Thread of its own for future discussions. Like Tom said, " Its our biggest fear and concern. " Others may like to join in and perhaps some usefull information may help someone. Karen and I have a policy on our companies Group Program at 592.00 per month and we are both 60.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Getting old is not for sissies.

We had to buy our own insurance and with each year the hosing we got for premiums got worse and worse. I was never so glad to get Medicare.

I want to thank all of you for paying my premiums now. I pay a little, but all of you youngsters that report income are covering me and Di and for that we thank you.

BTW, we had a $10,000 deductible and the last year we had it, just to cover me they wanted annual premiums of $9,000 and we had never collected a penny of health insurance in our entire married life except when our daughter was born.

We both have medicare now. Our regert is that if we had set aside all the $ we have paid for insurance for the last 40 years instead of buying insurance maybe we could have a paid for brand new bus. We have had one claim which was 20 years ago. My mother passed away at 95, 3 years ago and the only insurance she ever had was medicare. Of course the medical deal has grown leaps and bounds. I think mostly to everyone having insurance

Jon,

You are welcome for covering the medicare. But since I work for the government you are really paying me to pay your insurance premium. You cannot escape!

Loc

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

There is not much good to say about medical insurance. When I was in my mid 20's I remeber passing on medical Insurance. Now, I don't have that option. Medical Insurance is as much, if not more , to protect your lifes savings and holdings as it is to pay for medical procedures. I would be wiped out if my wife or I needed to go to the hospital.
    Tully's right about the insurance companies, some years its Blue Cross, some years its Health Net, they all keep playing with the numbers, and they all are increasing yearly.
    In my Company we do a 50/50 on employees only. We also have what is known as a Cafeteria Plan which allows everyone to pay med. insurance with your gross earnings, not your net earnings which saves about 30 % annually on that taxable income.
    Now if you really want to get everyone POed, lets talk about Social Security!
    Last edited by garyde; 01-08-2009 at 11:43 PM.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

sawdust_128 Guest

This equation is is not the computed on the delta between the old rate and the new rate.

First, they are stating that they want to bill at a rate increased by +30%of the old rate.
    To accomplish this, They assume that the old rate was 70% of what the new rate will be.

Thus, working in decimal equivalents:

175/((100 - 30)/100) = 250

partial solution:

175/ (1 - 0.3) = 250

or

175/ (.7) = 250

This is not dissimilar to the slight of hand used by businesses in the aspect of retail pricing when they are operating on margin and selling on markup.

Essentially, by their definition, it is a 30% increase.