Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Trailer Question?

Tully Guest

Default Another Trailer Question?

Ok, I am almost ready to do the trailer. Going to go with a 22 foot V-Nose which will put me at 25 feet total.

I have an option to add a 3rd axel on the trailer. What are the pro's and con's of a 3rd axel other than the additional cost and extra tire/rim?

Thanks,

Tully Lee Garrett

Tully,

On a trailer of that length sharper turns become an issue with 3 axles. The only reason to have a third axle is for mor GVW and you probably do not want to exceed 10000lbs. GVW with your hitch.
    John Knollmaier
    Still Dreaming!

dalej Guest

Tully,

Is the trailer that you are looking at have two 6 or 7 thousand pound rated axles?
    Make sure on the axle ratings. Should have at least 2, 6,000# axles.

Does it have torsion springs, most car haulers do, the only way to go.

My trailer has a 22 foot box plus a 5 foot V-nose plus 2 foot of hitch, for a total length of 29 feet. It has 2, 6,000# axles.
    Last edited by dalej; 01-06-2009 at 02:09 PM.

I like to have a lot more axle capacity than I need,if you had 3-5200 LB.axles if you blew a tire you can limp home if you are close to home.

Tully Guest

The unit has Independent torsion suspension axles at 5200 per axel.

I was just looking at the 3rd axel from the stand point of tracking straight a little better and maybe a smoother pull/ride? My personal taste thinks it looks better.

The trailer is made by United Trailers out of Indiana. So far I am pretty impressed with their build quality that I have read up on and have seen in person.

Anyone ever heard of United Trailers?

Tully

Question Tully, Did You See This One

Tully Guest

That is a nice looking unit.

My only problem is that I will also be using the trailer to pull my RoadRunner in. So I have to keep in mind what the Navigator will pull.

Tully

We have had four trailers during the past 26 years. The last three have been custom built and enclosed.They just look better. Not to mention the nice secure storage when on the road. We have used the trailer as a dining hall during bad weather at some events. The last two have been v nose. The current one is a triple axle. We don't need the extra weight capacity, again, it just looks better.No problems with turns, some say a triple axle will track straighter. Don't know if that is true, but we do look cruisin' down the road.

Tully Guest

Well the 22 foot is the max weight at 4900 lbs empty. Would like to go 24 foot the the empty weight would put me over the towing weight on my Navigator. I sure hope that 2 foot shortage is not a issue down the road.

Thanks for all the replies.

I am having this one built.

Any special features that are "a must"...?

Tully

Orren Zook Guest

Tully,

United makes one of the best trailers available - If you are are planning to tow a car in your trailer you might consider adding a door that opens over the axles on the road side so that you can open your car door into that open door and then just step out.