Thread: Alternators for 1990 Country Coach

Tully Guest

Default Alternators for 1990 Country Coach

One of my alternators took a dump on my bus. Looking to replace both alternators. I am sure they are original to the bus.

Plus one of the alternators has a relay box. Looking to replace that.

I undestand one alternator is to charge house batteries and one for coach.

Where can I purschase the alternators and what kind of cost and I looking at?

Is there an option to have rebuilt?

Thanks,

Tully Lee Garrett

Tully Guest

After a little research it turns out the 50DN can be purchased on line through many vendors. Price seem to be around $1100.00 to $1300.00.

I did find a source that sells them remanufactored for $573.00. A core charge of $500.00 refundable upon return of core.

Seems a new feature was added to this alternator on all 10/04 units made thereafter.

A Long LIfe Stator Assembly was added to protect against electrical shorts and grounds. Cooler opoerating temps. and Less circut resistance.

Again, I am certain my alternator is original to coach. Found an article that at around 200,000 miles would be considered the life of the alternator. Plus, I am hearing some bearing noise.

So, at $573.00 I will just consider this peace of mind and keeping ahead (if possible) of the maintenance curve. The voltage regulator is $85.50.

Tully

Default search for prior posts

If your referring to the OEM alternator positioned forward of the motor under the bedroom floor many an engine man will tell you that when the bearings start making noise soon to follow are pieces from that alternator flying around inside the engine causing terminal damage to the motor-only repeating what I've heard in conversations with people who know a lot about the 2-strokes.

I've got 165,000 miles on mine and have been keeping that tidbit in the back of my mind now for some time.