Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My first lean

Last winter I went through the same exercise without having the assistance of a knowledgeable bus guy like Joe. Using the Prevost Mtc. Manual and asking the local truck brake supply house a lot of questions, I was able to complete the job solo.

Paul is absolutely right in that having a gopher would have made the job much easier, enlisting a pal or having a willing female assistant adds both safety and convenience to the job. Coveralls, lots of rags or paper towels, industrial rubber gloves, a big jug of hand cleaner and a good work light make the job much easier.

Once the bus is on jacks with the wheels removed, doing a complete remove and replacement job is the way to go. Once you get started, each additional element doesn't take much more time and when you're done the peace of mind factor is huge. I did airbags, all flexible brake hoses, all brake and tag lift chambers, 2 tank drain valves, overhauled the air dryer and installed two new Norgren valves (sorry I didn't do all of them Tom).

I used the Prevost Parts Book and crosschecked part numbers with parts removed. Aside from airbags, (Prevost) and the Norgrens, all parts were purchased from a local truck parts house. Installed parts didn't always match the parts book which caused some confusion and takeback trips to the parts store. (Unsurprisingly) a couple of calls to Jon were part of the process.

All in all it was a great experience which I'd recommend to any wrench head who has a decent set of tools (a short step up from a crescent wrench and channel locks). It was not difficult but was more time consuming as a first timer than I'd first estimated. The bus was on the jackstands for about 10 days and I estimate about 40 hours including parts runs.

I just finished all 8 air bags, new compression fittings in place of the slip-ons, all but 2. I still have the bus on jack stands to let it sit with air in the bags for a day to check for leaks, it's a pain to R&R the wheels so I can wait a day.
    I replaced the air lines from the tanks to the bags while I was at it. I am thinking next season to do all the norgren valves and maybe the brake cambers.
    My bus had no leans and held air 100%, just needed a reason to clean the underside again. I am hoping for no leaks again but time will tell!

Default For what its worth....

Brian & Paul,

FWIW, when I was having a rear brake job done on my Newell I noticed that the mechanic used BRAKE CLEANER in an aerosol can to clean the grease and grime off of the arear where he was working. As he sprayed it on the grease just disappeared like majic. He said it only sells for a couple dollars a can, but it is sure worth the cost.

Try it next time you are doing some greasy work.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Brian,

Make sure I'm the first to know when the Royale is for sale. In Jdub's words, the underside of my bus looks like a diamond in goats ass!