Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first lean

Hey guys,
    thanks for your help. Joe, I'd love it if you would help me with this for many reasons: it would be nice to meet you in person, the job would get done right, and I'd be able to watch/learn/assist so I could maybe pass it on one day. I realize we may not be in the same place at the same time, so maybe we can coordinate and figure it out.

Incidentally, the problem is getting better now that it is up to 30 degrees. Haven't done the tag lift test yet though. But I like the idea of just replacing all of the valves and giving my coach the full valve rejuvenation therapy.

So Joe, where are you, when are you? And Jon, thanks for the detailed response. As always, super helpful!

See ya on the road.

Adam

Adam,

As a preventive maintenance measure, since our bus is at the 10 year mark, we have decided to replace the six rear air bags, 5 port Norgren valves (2), 3 port Norgren valves (3) and 2 ride height valves.

While we're in there, the 2 drive axle and 2 tag axle brake chambers will also be replaced.

Luckily, the shocks appear to have been changed.

The front bags were changed last spring.

In my opinion, at this stage of life for our bus it makes sense to simply replace a many components as are realistic to access at a time and try to eliminate chasing problems down the road.

Oh, and Joe will be performing the surgery.....

I'll keep ya posted as to how the "shotgun" approach worked out.

jelmore Guest

Paul & Joe, our 2000 Liberty has quick-fill tanks for each bag that get air in series (sequence?) beginning with the 5-port valve. Our left rear leaks were in the drain valves for those tanks. Those should probably be reseated or replaced also. A very inexpensive part. Adam, ours only leaked when cold. Don't know if yours is set up this way or not.

Jim brings up a good point. Adam's coach will not have those tanks however due to its age. But that is a good reminder to Joe because Paul's bus does have the tanks.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I got um they're threaded on the drain side with "wing nut ears" instead of the original style that are prone to leaking with age and temp. drops.

Quote Originally Posted by phorner View Post
    Adam,

As a preventive maintenance measure, since our bus is at the 10 year mark, we have decided to replace the six rear air bags, 5 port Norgren valves (2), 3 port Norgren valves (3) and 2 ride height valves.

While we're in there, the 2 drive axle and 2 tag axle brake chambers will also be replaced.

Luckily, the shocks appear to have been changed.

The front bags were changed last spring.

In my opinion, at this stage of life for our bus it makes sense to simply replace a many components as are realistic to access at a time and try to eliminate chasing problems down the road.

Oh, and Joe will be performing the surgery.....

I'll keep ya posted as to how the "shotgun" approach worked out.
    Well, the deed is done. After all the wrench turning the end result was as good or better than expected.

The six rear air springs went in fairly easily. I would highly recommend that anyone trying this on for size themselves also replace the air lines and fittings as we did. It can be a real PITA to get some of those old push-on connectors to seal again once they've been disturbed. The additional expense is negligible compared to the time and effort saved as well as the piece of mind knowing that the components are new.

Also, replacing the drain valves on the air tanks is an inexpensive and relatively easy way to help guarantee success the first time around.

We also had decided to replace both the 5 port and 3 port Norgren valves as part of the complete project. A little time consuming but well worth the effort. And, it would have helped a LOT if one of the BRAND NEW IN-THE-BOX Norgren valves hadn't been a leaker. At least it had a real bad, obvious leak, so it was easy to detect from the get go..... no hunting around needed!

Those 5/8 inch line fittings can also be a challenge to find when you need 10 or so of them, so it's best to have them in hand when you start.

But best of all, our very own Joe Cannarozzi performed the surgery. Joe knows his stuff. And, even though he works tirelessly, he always took the time to answer questions or explain the hows and whys of what he was doing.

Thanks, Joe.

I'm a happy camper

jelmore Guest

Way to go guys. I've spent SO much money at Prevost. It's painful. You're an inspiration.

Hi Paul. This is the kind of project many POG members would like to take on I am sure. Can you tell us how many hours your project took and what were some of the challenges you came upon , and how you got passed them.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Congrats Paul and Joe.

I know from my experience with Jon on our buses that there is a great deal of satisfaction just knowing that the bus is new on the bottom and that you KNOW it. You feel good.

kinda like the old Toyota Ads "OH What a feeling"
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Quote Originally Posted by garyde View Post
    Hi Paul. This is the kind of project many POG members would like to take on I am sure. Can you tell us how many hours your project took and what were some of the challenges you came upon , and how you got passed them.
    Gary,

We had estimated 10 to 12 hours. The work to be performed was the 6 rear air bags, 2 drive axle brake chambers, 2 tag axle brake chambers, 2 five port Norgren valves and 2 three port Norgren valves. We also had planned to replace all 10 or so air tank drain valves and the 2 ride height valves.

The actual time was closer to 15 hours but that was due to a couple of factors, one of which was a brand new 5 port valve that leaked, resulting in that work being done twice and the decision to replace air lines and fittings. This took additional time to both locate and purchase the fittings, which we found were hard to come by as well as cut the new lines to length and install the fittings. We also found an air dryer cartridge that apparently had never been changed and that had to be ordered and installed.

Joe can chime in here with some comments as his view was much more up close and personal than mine

Of course, it can take some time to get the bus to the required height and secure it for the removal of the wheels.

And, since we were the "guests" of the Valiant Air Command, some incidental time was spent keeping the area as neat and tidy as possible during the project.

We also had 3 "volunteers" assisting Joe, with my role being the principal "gopher". This can help cut the time substantially by having someone handy to fetch the tool which will ALWAYS be on the opposite side of the bus than where you need it.

It's also handy to have someone available to head out for parts/fittings/lunch/whatever so that the work doesn't have to stop while this is being done.

Oh, and if you decide to take this on, bring hand cleaner....LOTS of hand cleaner, make that as much as you can find 'cause for sure your gonna need it!!
    Last edited by phorner; 01-09-2009 at 12:47 PM.