While returning to Texas, I stopped at a rest area and had a conversation with a fellow who remarked he would never travel to or in Alaska with a nice coach. His comments were that traveling on highways in that state or to it at posted speeds often resulted in becoming airborne because of repairs, unmarked and unseen dips due to ground heaves potholes the depth of which could not be ascertained before coming upon (in) them.

Furthermore, he said that 'dumpers' (dump trucks, some massive) dropped rocks at speed (doing the limit) that commonly take out windshields, and that this had happened to him. He had been going to Alaska for at least seven years, post-retirement.

I mentioned that we were considering taking a oceanliner/ferry to Alaska for convenience, and to be able to take our time, and catch the next (subsequently) ship to continue our journey when we felt it was time to move on to the next area of interest along the coast. This did not change his opinion or his advice. He also mentioned rock falls; despite barrier walls along the highways which were car or human height, they filled up with detritus after a period of time, and when that happened, rocks would fall and be launched at wall height, missing a lane or two of automobile height vehicles, but occasionally taking out motorhomes, semis, and the like.

Well, now I am wondering about the wisdom of taking a tour with the coach. Obviously many do not have these problems at all, but he was adamant that it was something he wouldn't repeat himself, that he had accumulated months of experience in Alaska; and that it was a gamble.

Comments? Thank you.