Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alaska Travel

dreamchasers Guest

Default Alaska Post

Last year, a thread concerning Alaska travel evolved into a very informative post. You might check out the post for additional information.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...=alaska&page=2

Alaska is beautiful in all aspects of the word. I would have no hesitation driving my bus to Alaska. I made the trip in a 40' American Eagle, towing a jeep. No problem!

Hector

We hope to leave out of Florida in May 2009, head West up to Banff and Jasper National parks via Calgary, make a slow go West and north keeping our options open for interesting places along the way. If anyone is planning on going this way let us know. We may swing back through Vancouver down the West Coast back east on I-40 in the fall, not sure, open ended on the return plan.

Regarding Alaska,

I believe God wired each one of us differently. We all have different wants and needs. That being said, I say the following with the utmost respect for every POG member on this site:

If you are worried about mud, if you are worried about a rock dent in your stainless, if you are worried about chipping or breaking a front windshield, you should probably not plan a driving trip to Alaska. You will be worrying and fretting about your bus so much, you won't enjoy yourself. The tradeoff is beauty beyond pictures in a book.
    Attached Images Attached Images

QueenOfTheRoad Guest

We did the Marine Highway up and the regular highway down on our Queen of the Road trip in summer of '05. Wouldn't have missed it for anything. Definitely get a copy of the Milepost before you go.

Hi!! Restarting this thread, any new updates for travel tips from central Texas to Alaska? I am sure the roads have been significantly developed since 2006. Thank you in advance.
    2003 Marathon #798

It’s a long isolated road with constant construction and the construction is mostly repair. Not much traffic and only saw two cop cars. One was made of plywood so I wouldn’t count on the road being a lot better. It was 2012 when we made the trip. The road wasn’t washboard rough but you bounce around and it will rearrange your luggage. Now for the good part. We saw lots of bears, one mountain lion,moose, and buffalo. Beautiful scenery. It’s worth the trip.