Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Generator Fuel Consumption

jelmore Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rfoster View Post
    Flying J-- Knoxville fuel $2.19.9 gal. Sunday night.
    Flying J in Ft. Pierce, all truck islands closed (no fuel?). Pilot was $2.51 or so. Monday.

Default Generator Fuel Consumption

Ray, You did the math right. After the first day I watched the Auto Start crank up the generator at 12.2 volts. I was surprised the voltage got that low after eight hours. I have 6-4D batteries and they are two years old. Some of the draw was from running the Wabasto I think unless it is supplied power from the engine batteries. I was unable to use A.C. heat pumps at 17 to 20 degrees. The Bus sat outside the entire time and perhaps the temps lowered the performance level of the battery bank.

Mike, Happy New Year to you and Karen. We are glad to be back in the Florida warmth. I like having to turn on all the AC 's to stay cool ! That is why I reduced the charge rate on my Inverter. It takes longer to charge the 4D's but I think it is better than hitting them hard each time I charge them. While traveling in the South I noticed Three AC 's, the oven, and misc other items plus the Inverters charging full rate was to much for some of the 50 amp outlets in some campgrounds.

And Jim C. You are correct. I told our daughter to hire a contractor and send me the bill !

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by jelmore View Post
    Flying J in Ft. Pierce, all truck islands closed (no fuel?). Pilot was $2.51 or so. Monday.
    Stopped at the Flying J at the Fla Ga line upon our return to Fla. Pulled into the RV pumps and found them to be real slow. Pumped about 3 gallons per minute. Obviously their filter needed replacing. Went inside to complain and told the cashier I was going to pull over to the truck lane. She said fine but wanted me to know it was 6 cents a gallon more on a credit card in the truck lane ! Wonder if this is a new strategy for their reorganization.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by rfoster View Post
    I am convinced global warming is over, oil/gas prices are down, I am running the generator and when I grow up I want to be like Jim Keller.

Flying J-- Knoxville fuel $2.19.9 gal. Sunday night.
    Roger, When I grow up I want to be like YOU because " You just can't hide money! "

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Peter -- Thanks for the answer

Lew -- definitely 8 4-D's

Happy New Year everybody,

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Keller
    That is why I reduced the charge rate on my Inverter. It takes longer to charge the 4D's but I think it is better than hitting them hard each time I charge them
    What was your charging rate, and what did you reduce it to?

Ray

Ray, If I recall correctly there are three levels of charge rate for my Heart 2500 Inverters. I had Nick Hesler walk me through it and we picked the middle rate. I think I remember a 25 number.

I sure do miss ol Nick. He is a wealth of knowledge. I called him the other night when I had a question. Have you talked to him lately ?

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Jim,

No, I haven't spoken with him recently. I too miss him. Maybe I'll give him a call tonight, and wish Happy Holidays!

Ray

Jim the Tool Man,

I fueled a day before you at Flying J, 201 marker and had no problem with the RV pump. At least 4 of the truck islands were closed and they had a back-up on the truck side. It's slower than the truck for sure, but at least my shoes weren't covered in diesel fuel after pumping 160 gallons. 2.20 a gallon, not bad!

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default My and my aux gen (again)

I won't keep reposting the same thing about my aux. generator fixation but I use it and like it. The link below will suffice for those interested. To add a comment or two, most small inverter gens have a 12volt charger built in and you use cord with two alligator clips and the other end plugs into the gen. If I just want to keep my batteries topped off to keep up with the fridge, TV or using the Aqua Hot, I open the battery bay and connect that to the battery bank. Ultra quiet, uses less fuel but mostly give me peace of mind if I want to keep my batteries up all night, like if I'm using the Webasco. I'm had the turbo burn up on the gen one time about 10pm at night and ambled out of the coach and happen to see the smoke. Ever since then, I can't sleep well with the gen on and my batteries wont' make it through the night to keep above 12.2 for the Webasco or to keep the fridge going. Most would say that I'm not maintaining the batteries right and that may be the case. I bought new Interstate batteries, made sure not to abuse them.....kepping them above 12.2 and they still suck. Had them load tested recentley by independent (not Interstate) and they said they were ok. My battery issues getting off topic, but that's why I gave up on getting a good cycle out of them and toss the small aux gen on them when I want to keep them up. I can also plug it into the shore power cord, turn down the charge rate on the inverters/chargers and run one A/C all night long on 2 gallons of gas. The only drawback to all this is keeping a couple 5 gallon jugs of gas in the bay but so far no explosions. Still here.

More details below.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...nerator&page=4