Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: replacement air springs

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Some nipple-head at the Eagles Nest in Nashville, where they did some repairs in preparation for sale for the guy we bought it from, decided to replace only 5 of the 6 rear bags. I finally got around to pulling that last one (it was 61 wonderful degrees in Chicago today).

The bag was dated 1984 Its like the plumber with the bad pipes I am

Our bus has no Norgrens. I will take a picture of the beautifully simple and inexpensive valves they used to use, before it goes back together.

I am also upgrading to maxis on the tag and replacing the drive maxis from the 30/36's to the 30/30's replacing all the 1/2in rubber brake hose to 3/8 with the 2 piece reusable ends, upgrading to gas shocks and replacing the drive tires with 11.22-5's. This will give me all the same very readily available and less expensive components that the trucking industry enjoys

The fat lady is tuning up.

I had the opportunity to scarf up a set of the elusive Mae West bags (the0126's) That same shop replaced 1 of the two up front and the L and R sides are different. They are going on the steer and I plan on pulling the brake drum to see if I can find that thunking sound down there in harder shorter stops. I remember a couple other folks mention that same thunk up there, hopefully I can definitively resolve that.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 02-07-2009 at 07:59 PM.

Strictly theory Joe, but we had the thunk on the 87 coach, but not on the current one. If I had to guess I would say it is the front axle attempting to rotate when a lot of force is applied such as braking in which the tire on the road wants to stop rotating, while the chassis wants to keep traveling.

If I had to point at one thing it would be the radius rods and the bushings compressing once the forces exceed a certain value. This is only a guess, but I was all over my old coach trying to find it.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I hope not cause I have put new ones in up there already.

dalej Guest

Joe,

It sounds like it's nice to have your baby back home. I wished you could just put a few things in it and head over to Havasu and join us next weekend.

Dale, As an old Pogger says: Roger that!

dalej Guest

Brian,

Now your going to get in trouble for calling Roger old!

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Although we can not physically be there we will be participating

Don't ask.

JOE.......I have had that same thumping sound under hard breaking on my present and previous Prevost. Both 1989 models. Have no clue to the cause. I hope you find out for us.

Joe, I don't think it relates to the age of the bushings. Our coach was 2 years from new when we bought it and it made that noise any time I had to do a hard stop.

I finally remembered to check out my front raise measurements as Ken and Ray did. I think the Liberty likes the warm weather, 80 degrees and I got exactly 6" of lift without lifting the tag, at high idle and a governor pressure of 130 psi. It took just over 2 minutes to raise and I have 259 bags.