Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: replacement air springs

dalej Guest

I have snapped a few myself and this is what one Prevost man told me. If your heading into a curve and hit a dip or rough spot while the bus is in a lean, you can snap a shock.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Great engineering, wouldn't you say.

JOE.......I have a 1989 Prevost with 140k. My tires are 2yr old Michelin XZ2. My right front tire has a worn spot about 1ft long in the middle tread. All of the other treads show no visable wear. My first thought was a soft spot in the rubber since no other tread wear. Went to TCI Tire for a check out and possible adjustment. The manager at TCI raised the front wheel about 1in and placed a crow bar under the wheel and pulled upward. The wheel moved about 1/8 in. TCI said that I had bad King Pens therefore no tire adjustment could be made. What are King Pens, how do they wear and should I need them at 140K? I have had even tire wear for the past 80k with no issues. I know that it is almost impossible to get Michelin to adjust their tires. Please give me your opinion.

JOE.......Maybe 1/16 in movement rather than 1/8 in.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

There should not be any play in the king-pins and if properly greased should last 500000+ easy.

How did he eliminate the possibility of that play being a loose wheel bearing adjustment?

Was the movement up and down or in and out? It could also be needing a shim for the thruster bearing.

When was the last time you replaced the front shocks?

JOE.......The movement was up and down when he placed a crow bar under the wheel and pulled upward. I had the shocks replaced 30,000 miles ago (3yrs) at Prevost DFW. How would you check for loose wheel bearings without removing the hub assy? Would the wheel have movement, in and out, side to side, or noise from spinning the wheels while on jack stands? I called Prevost DFW today for a price quote. Wheel bearings $1500, King Pins $1800. With your help, I would like to know my options if I go Prevost for repair. Thanks Joe for your input.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Up and down 1/16 is neglidgable play in the shims between the spindle and axle for the thruster bearing.

More questions

How are the front wheels balanced and how does it preform. Are you noticing anything at the wheel that has recently changed for the worse?

JOE......I have heard about shims for the front suspension but I do not know how they work. Would shims take the up and down slack out of the wheels? Is it a major task to replace or add shims?

JOE......The front wheels are balanced with a smooth ride. I have noticed a slight vibration at 20-30mph. Vibration goes away with increase of speed. Are we starting to think wheel bearing?

JOE....I can feel the slight vibration in the steering wheel, not in the ride.