Thread: replacement air springs

Hybrid View

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Correction the 259 are the same diameter as the 260 and they both are smaller diameter than the 126.

I can not explain why the 259 will easily raise the front all the way up to its limit where the 260 couldn't even come close and the only difference is the 259 is 1 inch taller than the 260?

14400 steer weights.

We experimented put a gauge on the accessory tank built up air with the 8-V till the compressor stopped pumping and it is only 115psi on this XL then at low idle in level low the front came all the way up and at a normal time.

Then with the bus on high idle with the air compressor running and the gauges at 105 and going up the front went all the way up fast.

We also checked full travel and it was over 15 inches extended and below 8 collapsed.

Life is good for Deb and Erik. Fixed the air leak on the brake tanks too didn't drop not 1 pound overnight.

Would have been a really great time if I would not have lost my dog this morning. We had a 15 year old Golden Retriever and knew she had a mass in her spleen but at that age you just live with it. Well it ruptured and I was up with her all night and she died with me lying in bed petting her about 7 this morn. This year really sucked for us hope things get better.

My misunderstanding. A smaller diameter is the reason. These are some points of reference.

The Goodyear number has the nominal diameter following the R. A 1R11 model designation is a nominal 11" diameter. It could be 10.5" or even 11.25"

A 10.5" diameter (actual) has 86 square inches, so to lift 14,000 two air springs need to be pressurized to around 81psi. (81 PSI X 86 Square inches X 2 air springs) will start to lift the front.

An 11" diameter (actual) has 95 square inches so to lift the front it only needs about 74 psi.

These are theoretical and it is likely the effective lifting surface is less than the diameters given above and the diameter in the Goodyear part number probably references the outside diameter of the rubber bellows which expands a little when inflated.

My point however is that as you can see from the above even a small reduction in the diameter has a large effect on the pressure required to lift the bus. Until those buses with problems lifting the front get air springs of sufficient diameter there is nothing short of increasing pressure that will make them lift. Why one bus will lift and another will not depends upon how much weight is to be lifted. If the front axle weight is heavy, more pressure is required to lift.

There are only two concerns when selecting an air spring. Prevost, for some unknown reason has chosen sizes that do not perform as the original air springs have performed. Prevost appears to be concerned about the same things we are, but to less of an extent for bus leveling.

As long as the air springs do not interfere with anything, such as rubbing the tire or any other part of the bus the size is acceptable. That means if you are not satisfied go to a larger air spring as long as the increase in diameter does not rub anywhere. The second, and equally important concern is that the air spring has no less travel than the suspension has.

This site http://stengelbros.3dcartstores.com/...Lobe_c_62.html is as good as any that I have found to research for larger air springs.

lewpopp Guest

Joe,

Sorry about your loss. It will leave an empty space in your days and it will take time. As a kid I never had any sorrow for anyone who lost a pet because I never had one until I adopted my daughters when I was 65 or so. When I lost Woody I couldn't replace him for over a year because I didn't want to replace the good times we had. I have a replacement now and he is an important family member.

I finally remembered to check out my front raise measurements as Ken and Ray did. I think the Liberty likes the warm weather, 80 degrees and I got exactly 6" of lift without lifting the tag, at high idle and a governor pressure of 130 psi. It took just over 2 minutes to raise and I have 259 bags.

Default An Erection Year

Not bad for a senior citizen, I don't even wanna know how many sheep you were thinking of!
    Remind me to stay clear of the three of you!

Quote Originally Posted by truk4u View Post
    I finally remembered to check out my front raise measurements like Ken and Ray did.
    I got exactly 6". I think it likes the warm weather. It took just over 2 minutes to raise.
    Last edited by jello_jeep; 02-11-2009 at 10:05 PM.