Thread: AC Compressor

Default AC Compressor

I've had my compressor on my OTR air checked, and it is not functioning at full capacity, so I am going to replace it. Yep, I realize that AC is not a top priority for many of you at this time of the year!

Does anyone know of a good source for these heavy duty compressors? It is a model # TM31HD, manufactured by Tama Mfg. It is a 12V with 2 groove pulley. The best price I've seen so far is $965 for a Tama, and $690 for an aftermarket. Below is the info on this company.

Worldaire A/C Factory Direct (Supplier to the Automotive, Truck, Bus Air Conditioning Industry to over 68 Countries)
    P.O. Box 2159
    Mansfield, TX 76063
    (682)554-9022
    Fax: 866-355-0180
    http://www.worldaire.com/products.php
    dave@worldaire.com
    Last edited by dale farley; 12-29-2008 at 10:22 AM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Dale I've heard of a company in Eugene,OR that works on that system. I'll get the name for you if your interested. They might do rebuilds or at least supply you with a resource.

Larry, I appreciate any info you have on them. I want to check out all sources before I purchase the compressor. Thanks.
    Dale & Paulette

Dale,

Check out this company:

Omega Environmental Technologies
    10802 N. Stemmons
    Dallas, TX 75220
    214 357-1795

They had a direct replacement for my TM31 Seltec originally on my '95 CC. Not sure if they are the best price but know their stuff and are good to work with. Ask for JD Huff. When you call him you should have your original part and serial number. There are several different TM31s.

Good luck,

Ken

Thanks Ken, I wil check them out also. I am not sure about the relationship of Seltec and Tama. Mine has both names on it, and I've seen them advertised both ways. I do see there are numerous part
    #s that apply to the 31HD.
    Dale & Paulette

Dale, Those are good prices you have posted. I had mine replaced at Parliament a few months ago. They also found freon leaks at both of my hose fittings at the condenser. Seems to be a common problem. Instead of replacing the hoses they cut the ends off and installed new fittings. A special crimping tool enables this procedure.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Jim, I don't think I have any leaks, but I will have that checked again once I replace the compressor and dryer. I checked the condenser and cleaned the unit under the bus before I went to Yellowstone, and there were no leaks at that time. My freon level has always been okay, but the air has never been as cool as it should have been. I could get by with it as is, but I had rather have it working the way it should be.
    Dale & Paulette

dreamchasers Guest

Default Condenser

Roadrunner,

I also have the Country Coach bus air system. My system was cooling, but I felt I needed more during the hot Texas summers (The bus was cool, but not cold.). Upon checkout, I discovered that one of the electric condenser fans was not working, thus 1/2 of the condenser cooling was not functioning. I removed the condenser unit (pain in the butt) and replaced both fans. Now all is super cool. Just a thought.

Your post has harvested some great contact information for me.

Thanks,

Hector

Dale,

I had to have the same thing done at Parliament that Jim did. The fitting at the condenser was leaking and had to be spliced just like Jim's. If I remember, they vacuumed and then put 300 psi pressure on the system and the leaks showed up pretty quick. Mine was also working, but cooling poorly and then the low pressure switch eventually shut it down.

When it's working properly, you can hang meat in the bus. One word of caution, Parliament said to only run the fans on high, if you run them on low, since there is no temp adjustment, they will freeze up.