Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV Upgrade

Default TV Upgrade

How many have upgraded the TVs in the bus?

Did you do your own or hire it done?

What brand of TV is the best for the bus?

Regards,

Larry,

I removed the 20 inch in the front and installed a 26" Sony Bravia. It fit very nicely. There are some threads about installing TVs. This link will take you to some earlier discussion.
    http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...ead.php?t=2087
    Last edited by dale farley; 12-23-2008 at 11:02 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Dale, thanks. My search didn't show much, not friends with it I assume.

Larry, We pulled our front unit and put a swing arm on the right hand side of the cabinet, mounting a 26" Sharp on the arm. We bought a model that had removable speakers, so we had just the monitor on the arm. Had a cabinet man build a wood frame that slips around it and did the same for the center area (just right of the TV) where we mounted a Sony surround sound amp, connected to the HD Direct tv receiver for audio. The Direct TV HD receiver mounts behind the TV in the space vacated by the old TV.

I'll see if I can find some pictures, but am bad at tossing old files, so dont hold your breath.

We did much the same in the bedroom, but used a Sony 23" LCD there. It does have a better picture than the Sharp (both are HD units), but only slightly better.

There is a wide variety of mounting arms and options available. The hard part is finding a TV that will not become a sore spot on your head while entering or leaving the drivers seat!

Mike K.

Larry,

I did a little research and it seems that LCD TVs hold up better than the plasma TVs in a motorhome. So I bought an LCD Sony Bravia 32" and it fit perfect in my cabinet. All I had to add was a bracket to hold it in place. It was really a lot easier than I thought it would be.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Both the Plasma and the LCD give off a lot of heat, noticable in the summer months. Also, there has been some history with Plasma problems at higher elevations, above 5000 ft.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Plasma's for sure give off a ton of heat. I don't think that LCDs are even as hot as a normal tube TV.

One thing, some of the power bricks which come with these flatscreens are very sensitive to the sinewave produced by our generators. I had a Samsung LCD in my CC, and it fried the power brick in less than two years of use.

Usually, you can find something to replace it with at a good electronics house.

Ray

Jeff Bayley Guest

Larry-

I ditched the old style TV's in both my 94 and my 98 and installed a 42" Plasma in the first on and could only make a 32" fit on the 98 floor plan. Went right in between the window frame in the bedroom. Dimms should be the same no matter who your converter. Send me an email if you want and I'll forward you all the before and after pictures and I think I've got an explanation somehwhere I can find a copy of what was required to reduce your time of doing it. It took one whole day to shop for the an LCD that fit just right and two days to install it but it looks factory. Email you stuff on it if you want.

mwalker422 Guest

I have a 91 Country Coach. I'm going to replace the Front TV with a 26" Sony Bravia. That seems to the pick of most of our researchers. I'm not sure what do with the rear TV because space is limited. All my inputs are coaxal and that will change. Do I use HDMI or what? Where does Country Coach route the wires to the back. That is where my TracStar and DVD player is located.

Yes, HDMI is a/the standard for most if not all digital tv's input connections; LCDs and plasma, as well as DVD players/recorders' outputs, and is necessary if you want/have high definition reception. However, you need to see if your satellite TV system has HDMI outputs, which would first mean that you would have to have had a system relatively (few years) recently installed. If you don't, and you still want to do this, you will need to upgrade your sat/receiver system AND the cabling to your (new) set(s) if you want HDTV.