Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Headlights - Recommendation on replacements.

To further Jon's.... A check of the Parts Manual shows the H3 having 4 sealed beams. Assuming that's the case, Sylvania does make sealed beam Silverstars. I used them on an old Ford Ranger pickup and they were a super improvement. As I remember, they were cheap too.

Those are the same sealed beam lights as we had on our 1987 XL. The low beams were OK, but when the high beams were turned on they lit the night.

I think you are stuck with them unless you change the front end to use the new high intensity lights, and I have no way of knowing if those provide better lighting. You could cheat and get driving lights that light more forward than spread the light.

sawdust_128 Guest

I went to the Sylvania web sight. They have a pictoral comparison on the Silverstars. Wow. what a difference. They make the sealed bulb replacements I need. They add either 5 ot 10 watts to the power of the low beams and they are a blue-white light so a smaller attenuation on the light. I'll keep researching and get to a parts store. I could not find any mention as to whether or not they are just a drop in replacement or whether they need wiring and fixture enhancements.

If they just pop in, that will probably be what I do.

Thanks for all the advice.

After going back and re-reading, I just re-stated what Brian had said. OOps.
    Last edited by sawdust_128; 12-23-2008 at 02:41 PM.

The silverstars should be a drop in replacement. I put them on my 93CC, although those were individual bulbs, not sealed beams.

I was assured by the store I purchased that these didn't require any wiring mods, as they were very similar to originals. Other higher intensity lights would have required rewiring to use with the bus.

They made a big difference on mine (I also replaced the plastic shields, which were in awful condition)

Ray

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default Alignment?

Hey Woodchips,

Ed you might want to check on the alignment (aim) of your existing headlights. If you do change to the Silverstars you definately should have the alignment (aim) checked.

My old low beams were not acceptable to me. I checked the alignment and found the driver's side was not pointing forward and down but left and up. Not good aim for light getting onto the road ahead. High beams were wonderful, just too bright when faced with oncoming traffic.

Let me know how the Silverstars work for you. I might want to change mine out too.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and Cindy - plus the wonder dog!

Default Headlight Aiming / Cornering Lamp

1 ) When aligning the Headlights on the bus: Do you do it yourself and hope for the best, or take it somewhere for them to aim them properly, like they do on cars?

Loc, suggested I just pull up close to a dark wall, and try aiming them myself, but Not sure if that is what I should do or not? I am not questioning Loc's idea mind you, just questioning if there is a proper way of aligining them?

2) I have docking and cornering lamps on both sides of the bus. Only the cornering lamp ( Front of Bus ) on the passengers side is out, and not the rear docking lamp on the passengers side. I replaced the lamp, but still get nothing.

It only has 2 wires, so I think even I could connect it correctly? Is there a fuse or relay in the drivers door, that might affect this cornering (turning Lamp )?

I really rely on these lamps at night to let everyone know my intentions of turning, and lane changes and would like to get it fixed?
    Thanks in Advance.

Gary S.

Default Ready, Aim, Light!

Gary,

I just had some other work done at a nearby tour bus company. I asked them to aim the headlights with their tool while I was there. My lights, which like others have complained, were not "bright" enough on low beams. Mine were way out of "aim." They are now aimed correctly.

I tried the piece of cardboard method and the best you can do if you are lucky is get the aim in the neighborhood of being correct.

I'll let you know after a night drive how much improvement there is in my low beams. Like everyone else, on high beam you could play a game of baseball in front of me - especially when supplimented with the two "fog/drive" lights.

Thanks Will for the insite.

I will have the bus at Buddy Gregs, in the coming weeks, ( Repair Work they screwed Up the first time ) so I will see if they have this "Aiming" capability?

I believe things should be done correctly, but have found sometimes I CAN'T AFFORD to do it correctly?

Gary S.

ps: Any answers or ideas on my cornering lamp issue not working? Thanks

Default Aim Time

Gary,

Hey, I know the feelings about doing it right but the budget being too tight! Just as a point of reference it took the tour bus mechanic supervisor about 30 minutes total to get the instrument, do the set up on all four headlights, make the adjustments, and repack the instruments. Stay with the coach and watch them do the work. You will find out if your headlights were mis-aimed and by how much. Mine were really bad - must be the old eyeballs are not as finely tuned as they used to be! Let's see when is that annual eye check, oh yes next month

Default Headlight upgrade

I recently changed my headlights to the Sylvania SilverStar. A nice improvement. Would recommend the Silver Star if you are unhappy with your headlights performance.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost