Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headlights - Recommendation on replacements.

sawdust_128 Guest

Default Headlights - Recommendation on replacements.

What is the consensus here? I would like to have a little more light when I am driving at night. It seems the current bulbs (I don't know if they have ever been replaced) just aren't bright for one thing and they don't give me a range of visibility that I am comfortable with because it doesn't feel safe.

Thanks in advance.

Dust Man,

High beams, that's the only answer that I'm aware of...

I have no experience with the current high intensity lights, but I do know the sealed beam 4 lamp system on our 87 coach was spectacular. Low beams were good, but when I kicked on the high beams the visibility was excellent.

But I have no illusions. Night driving is for young eyes and we should be aware that what might be bright enough for night driving may be blinding to oncoming cars.

Agreement here; the high beams are adequate, but the low beams aren't all. I would love to know of brighter replacements for these headlights without modification of the physical lamp style or dimensions or method of alignment, if possible.

You may be able to up-grade to the new Sylvania lamps, but don't overlook how much of an improvement you can get by simply polishing the plastic lens. They get dirty and cloudy over time and can be polished to allow substantially more light to be emitted.

Worth a try....

3-M makes a kit to polish the lenses but any quality plastic polish will do the job.

SAWDUST............ Try the Sylvania Silverstar from your local auto parts store. About $38.00 for both lights. Very bright and white. Much better than old style bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell McCarley View Post
    SAWDUST............ Try the Sylvania Silverstar from your local auto parts store. About $38.00 for both lights. Very bright and white. Much better than old style bulbs.
    They have these at Wal-Mart. I got them and was really impressed with the difference. I don't know what was in there before, but the Silverstars are markedly better.

~Adam

sawdust_128 Guest

Default Update

I checked the condition of what I have. They are halogens. It appears the high beams were replaced. Without a thorough inspection, it appears the fixture, lenses, and bulbs for the high beams were replaced/upgraded fairly recently. I'll have to check the records for any notes on that.

It appears the lenses for the drivers are somewhat, not severly though, clouded. More significant is that the reflectors on the normal drivers are clouded, and may be a big part of the issue. I will have to dismantle to determine if it is dirt or deterioration.

Follow up question: The silverstars, are they a blue colored light? Are they a standard replacement or are there wiring/fixture issues with them, as Ken Brewer pointed out?

Ed,

I don't know the type lights or bulbs on your H3, just bear in mind the information you are getting is valid for the Ford style headlights on the rivet XL coaches and my not be applicable to your H3

sawdust_128 Guest

This may not be what is installed, but these are the Prevost specs.

High beam spec is:

50 watts
    Prevost Part# 561198
    Trade part # H4651

Low beam spec is:

35 watts
    Prevost Part# 561199
    Trade part # H4656

I also have some Bosch fog lamps that appear to be previous owner added into the front bumper, or maybe converter added. These are O.K. for adding light for wide-near visibility, but don't do much for extending driving visibility for the low beams.