Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Headlights - Recommendation on replacements.

Wanting my bus to have all the latest and greatest gadgets available, I went out and bought the SilverStar bulbs. When I pulled the first side off and took the old bulb out, it's a SilverStar. Spares are nice.

Default boss promptly told me no #@%$ way

Will, do you remember what the mechanic charged you to Properly Aim your headlights?

I am having some other work done at Buddy Gregg, and they quoted me about $400 to aim the headlights and fog lights properly ?

The boss promptly told me no #@%$ way are you spending $4 big ones for that.

I checked with Marathon in Ft.Worth and they don't do it, Prevost said their aim machine ain't aiming right now. So I may just have to pull it up to a dark wall, like Loc suggested and do it myself. Oh Crap, what am I getting myself into????

Good news is I already replaced the old light bulbs with New Silverstar Bulbs.

Gary S.

Default Cornering Lamp Fixed

I wanted to add something from my question in the above post about my passenger cornering lamp, not working. I know everyone is holding their breath....

I fixed my cornering lamp issue, while I was @ Buddy Greggs last weekend.

There are fuse blocks ( black square ) in the drivers door compartment for virtually all exterior lights, the cornering lamps being no exception, HOWEVER, the fuse was not the problem. When I replaced the Brand New Sealed Beam that I just purchased from Marathon, with the SPARE Sealed Beam that I also purchased at the same time, it worked perfectly.... Kind of like replacing a Norgreen valve with a Brand New Norgreen valve that leakes, I guess, but Not nearly has much work.

I have cornering lamps now.

Gary S.

GS

Using the wall works pretty well. I replaced the headlight housings and lamps on the XL a few years ago and re-aimed the lights which were pretty pathetic before hand. I was able to achieve pretty good results. If you want to bring the bus to the barn I would be happy to help. You need to park a reasonable distance from the wall and check the level on the coach and establish a level line on the wall to achieve a good result. Glad to hear the cornering lamp works.

Loc

Loc - 2008 Marathon XLII - Houston

Loc
    are you using the standard 4" down at 30 feet from the height of the lights when you're 3 feet from the wall?
    GregM

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default $400 - no way!

Gary,

I'll have to go check my invoice. I can tell you right now that it was nowhere near what Buddy Greeg quoted you for the aim job. Let me look it up and I'll get back to you tomorrow. Carole and I just got back from a trip to Naples Florida. As you can see from a previous post the trip included a stop at Parliament Coach. Now that stop cost more than $400 easy.

Hope all is well with you guys.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

What's the problem Will you think 400 is a little high for a headlight adjustment

How much do they get to check the oil How much more to add oil if nessessary

jkbriggs Guest

Just put 4 new Silver Stars on mine. They are much brighter & super easy to install (sealed beams).

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default Oh Yeah $ 400 is too high!

Joe,

My entire bill totaled $345.00. That included some minor parts and four hours labor. The headlight aiming was so inconsequential it was and not even identified as part of the work! The labor total included the aiming. So yeah, I think Buddy Gregg was looking to rip Gary a new one!

Most tire stores, especially those that handle big rigs will have the tools to do the job. I just happened to think of it while I was getting the other work done before my Florida trip.