Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webasto

Question Webasto

Is the Webasto wired such that the fuel pump and igniter will not run if the circulating pump does not run?
    Or is it that if the burner is running and you don't feel heat at the register then look at the circulation pump?

Does the Webasto heat engine coolant directly, or through a heat exchanger, or does it heat a closed loop of its own?

Does full engine coolant ensure a full Webasto circuit, or must you check Webasto system water? If so where?

Will the Webasto fire up if the water is low, or empty? Do you need to worry about a possible meltdown in a dry system situation?

If you are running along and the engine is at opp heat, can you get heat out of the Webasto using it's fan and thermostat without burning fuel in the unit?
    What I mean is does the engine heat the Webasto system in the same way the Webasto heats the engine?

These are theoretical questions of operation and safety

JIM

dalej Guest

JC_Is the Webasto wired such that the fuel pump and igniter will not run if the circulating pump does not run?

DJ_The Webasto starts when one of the many thermostats call for heat or close.

JC_Or is it that if the burner is running and you don't feel heat at the register then look at the circulation pump?

That is correct, the pumps for circulation start when the section of the bus calls for heat. The burner will cycle quite often if the circulation pumps don't take the heated water away.

JC_Does the Webasto heat engine coolant directly,

DJ_Yes

JC_or through a heat exchanger,

DJ_No

JC_or does it heat a closed loop of its own?

DJ_Yes

JC_Does full engine coolant ensure a full Webasto circuit?

DJ_Yes

JC_or must you check Webasto system water. If so where?

DJ_No

Will the Webasto fire up if the water is low, or empty? Yes

Do you need to worry about a possible meltdown in a dry system situation? NO

If you are running along and the engine is at opp heat, can you get heat out of the Webasto using it's fan and thermostat without burning fuel in the unit? Yes
    What I mean is does the engine heat the Webasto system in the same way the Webasto heats the engine? Yes

Keep in mind, I'm speaking of my 86 unit.

Thanks Dale.

I thought you had a 99, that would be the same as my 99, no. Yes!

JIM

dalej Guest

Oh yea, that's right!

Question

When I come to the bus and it is cold, I pres the button for the Webasto to light, and it does, but the fan in the bus immediately begins to blow cold air.

Is that the way it is in a bus or is there a time delay control that could be malfunctioning, something as found in house heating that prevents the fan until there is heat available to distribute.

Jimmy C,

Mine have all worked that way unless you have the heat thermostat turned all the way down. When the Webasto is turned on, you have power to the thermostats and heat exchanger fans. Just turn all your thermostats down prior to turning on the Webasto and you won't have cold air blowing up your skirt.

Correction to a few of Dale's answers. Dale's answers are likely correct relative to his converter, but on Jim's Liberty, turning on the Webasto initiates the burn cycle and turns on the water circulating pump which remains operational as long as the Webasto is "on".

Tom is correct as far as why it blows cold. If the thermostats in the house are "on" and calling for heat the fans will blow even though the water circulating is cold.

The Webasto burner shuts down when the water hits around 160 degrees. I don't know what temperature the burner kicks back in. If the engine is running and coolant temp is in excess of 160 the Webasto pump continues to run, but the burner does not fire.

Question

One last clarification and I'll have it.

Jon said; "If the engine is running and coolant temp is in excess of 160 the Webasto pump continues to run, but the burner does not fire."

Will the Webasto pump circulate water as in the quote even if it is not turned on?
    That is to say that whenever the engine is running and up to 160 deg. the
    Webasto pump will also be circulating water whether or not the Webasto is turned on.

Yes, No?

Thanks, JIM

While driving down the road, I get a signal on my dash indicating the webasto is on when it is not. I assume it is because of the 195 degree coolant passing thru the webasto . Now, maybe there is a solonoid which opens and closes when the Webasto and pump are running or when the engine is running I just don'tknow.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Jim, specifically for your coach, the pump located slightly behind the Webasto is only circulating coolant when the Webasto has been turned on. It is off other times.

For example, sitting still in a campground with the Webasto on, the pump runs continuously and the Webasto fires as often as necessary to keep coolant at 160 degrees.

If you are driving and the engine coolant is in the normal range and the Webasto is on, the pump runs, but the Webasto does not fire. The fans in the house cycle on and off as the thermostat calls for heat.

When we travel and it is very cold out I often use the drivers heat only, and the Webasto turned on. It is not firing, but I am getting heat throughout the bus. It is an alternative to running the big blower in the OTR system.