Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: I"ve seen something on e-bay...advice please..

Born and raised in NJ..Still live there..

Default Keeping On Keeping On...Vivian

Morning All,

Bless you Joe C. An easier one is out there somewhere..Hugs..

Thank you all for giving me back my Faith.. I know I could never give up but maybe I am reaching to high..I'm so glad I came and read all your posts this morning..

I really would prefer the lower height and simpler controls of an older one..
    Old Like Me..especially since I'll probably be going it alone the rest of my driving days..

But..I do have to stick to my guns about the floor plan..

Dinette Booth or TABLE and CHAIRS on PASSENGER Side so I can see my Patio..from Table..not the wall of the bus next to me..
    CROSS ISLAND Bed so I don't have to climb on the bed anymore to get into Cab. or Closet..
    Dresser SHELF across the back of coach with drawers under for my Musical Keyboard..
    Walk Thru' Bath for SEEING to rear of bus..Side aisle is claustrophobic to me..
    Prefer Two Sofas, no Chairs..

I'll Keep On Keeping On.. Many Thanks
    Warm Hugs Always Love Viv

http://community.webshots.com/user/journey144

Quote Originally Posted by Tully View Post
    Viv:

I think you are still in the drivers seat on this one. Prices are at an all time low and there are a number of owners who want out for what ever reason.
    Do not give up!

This is your dream so make it happen. All here can help.

Tully Lee Garrett

Joe,

You're always welcome to become our neighbor in the Sunshine State!

Joe,

I can't dispute a thing you have said. But for you and Viv this needs to be put in context. Like you, an older bus does not scare me. But we both know that until stuff gets sorted out the dream has the potential to be a nightmare.

Viv should not be exposed to anyone that could take advantage of her, so at least in my mind I would like her to get a coach that offers no surprises. There are two ways to do this on a budget. The first is to find that hidden jewel. The coach in her price range that has been well maintained, has just gotten a new set of tires and batteries and has everything working. That ideal coach will be cheap, and have detailed service records. That is her dream. (That version of the dream is unlikely)

The second option is to get a coach that has the colors and layout she wants, but is more typical of the condition of an older coach. That coach has to be dirt cheap so after the purchase it can be turned over to someone like you, and your mission will be to redo the underside and after you have taken care of the entire chassis, you will go through the house portion and do the same thing. It may cost $20,000 or $30,000 to fully restore it, but when Viv takes it on the road she will be driving a bus that is not going to expose her to mechanics who will take advantage of her.

I know from experience however that as these coaches age, surprises lurk around every corner. None of us can predict where the next failure will be on an older coach, especially one that has been rode hard and put away wet. It is the nature of the beast. Heaters and furnaces fail, unnoticed water tank leaks rot the bay floors long before the minor leaks are noticed, AC units quit for no apparent reason, alternators fail, seals leak, lights burn out, etc. What you and I see as minor, easily fixed, and no problem could be a huge problem to Viv and I think every single post and all the advice given has been made with the intent to shelter Viv from becoming a victim as much as we can.

I don't think anyone here is down on these conversions because they are unreliable, because they occasionally require service, or because they are not to be trusted. I think everybody here is being cautious because none of us wants to see Viv hurt.

JOE.....I agree with every thing you said. When I was looking for a bus 6 yrs ago, I knew that regardless of year model that I would re-paint, update complete interior and make the overall condition as good as new. I would have done this on a 1998 model or 1989 model. I shopped for the bus with the best mechanical condition and lowest miles for the price. I bought a 1989 XL that I have spent thousands of lewbucks on but it does not matter because I have the bus that I designed, updated to like new and is in great mechanical condition. Most important, I like my Prevost . It doesn't get any better that that.

Born and raised in NJ..Still live there..

Default Biggest Fear is Mechanics Dishonesty & Incompetence...

This turned out real long..but I wanted to show my appreciation to everyone..

Hi Jon, Joe, All,

No one wants to hear the sordid details of the past ten years of my association with mechanics and dealers..since my husband passed away..
    I have put one 30,000 deposit on a Diesel Bus..based on the photos on their Website that I refused to buy after I drove it..and was forced to choose another RV from that Dealer in Houston, Texas.. www.motorhomesusa.com purchased outright for the exact amt. of the deposit on the Bus..I drove that 34' 87 Fleetwood Limited Home to NJ..but on the way I was in a parking lot in Fl..when a car lost it's Cruise Control and smashed into me, tearing up the entire pass. the side of the coach..Delayed two weeks with not too serious injuries..but I drove that coach home with the heel of my broken foot and parked it, never to drive it again..!!

Next I bought a 95 Winnebago Vectra for 50K..at Scott Coach in my home town..and soon learned I was claustrophobic in what felt like a 15' rather than a 35' Coach because it was a side aisle bath..

Lastly I bought the 37' 98 Dolphin at LazyDays in Seffner, Fl. for 80K ..8K cash plus tax..and my two trades..the Vectra and the Limited..I have it now 7 yrs..

If you want to know what I've been thru' with that see my Webshots Pages..

Some of the repair not being done is my fault because of my son passing away so suddenly..It was a terrible shock to be told your son has been found dead from blood poision due to minor surgery on his elbow for a pinched nerve..The red line indicating blood poison was under his arm and reached his arm pit without any of us noticing it..the autopsy said it had taken about two hours to kill him..

I stopped everything..I lost over 40 lbs in 3 months.. I just couldn't eat and forced every bite..Dr. told me I must do something or I would die too..

I don't like mountain driving because I had a bad experience in the 50's on Cork Screw Mt. in Al. enroute to Memphis Tn..but that is women talk only..

Trying to take Dr's advice & knowing the only place I'd never been was Ca. and I thought there would be high mountains to cross to get there..lol..so I wouldn't take the Dolphin..Instead I bought a 19' Class B Coach House..from a neighbor..for 20K..and drove that wee coach 11K miles in a 5 mo. time frame..Trouble free, mind you...smile..

My son Bobby's boy age 20 was living in Tuscon, Az. a quite famous Wrestler out there..calling himself Wasted Youth..so I went to see him and then continued on to the Slabs in Niland, Ca..All this and meeting in person many people from the RV-Singles Group I've belonged to since 2002 did help the grief..I came home able to smile again..and I love the CH for shopping and weekend visits to my sister who lives in Senior Citizen Residence 70 miles north of me..could never fit the Dolphin in that parking lot..

Not to worry about my roughing it..last winter I took the Dolphin to Fl..and stayed 3 months with no water..but I managed to carry what I needed up those 5 steps every day to get by on..Showered inside the Moose Lodge..until my appt. with National RV to fix the water and do a complete check on the Dolpin, that never happened because National had gone Belly-Up in the meantime..I got to Lakeland to find their doors Locked and no phone call to cancel my appt..but when the Dometic Elite Fridge door fell off on my foot..in the Walmart Parking Lot in Lakeland, Fl..that was the icing on the cake..I headed home..again driving with a broken foot..Smile...it's ok..

I didn't leave for Fl..this Nov. as usual because the water still isn't repaired..I can find no one to do it in NJ..Briefly the parts they need can't be found..so I'm stuck here in my house and have been looking doubly hard for the Prevost..hoping to get down to Fl..for the rest of the winter..but I don't want to do it again with no water..and now no Fridge..that I did have repaired but it has quit working anyway..adding to my troubles with the Dolphin..that even if I spend the money to fix I can't use as a trade on any Prevost..so I didn't do it..

I've promised my Dau. Sharon I would stay home for Xmas with her, been 5 yrs. and then if I have to I probably will take the wee Coach House down to Fl..
    Where there's a will there's always a way..

Hugs Always Love Viv..

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Joe,

I think every single post and all the advice given has been made with the intent to shelter Viv from becoming a victim as much as we can.

I don't think anyone here is down on these conversions because they are unreliable, because they occasionally require service, or because they are not to be trusted. I think everybody here is being cautious because none of us wants to see Viv hurt.

ajhaig Guest

I know that the 8V92 is a time tested and proven motor, but is there a point at which the 8V92 will be considered obsolete?

We had minor issues with parts availability when we were on the road (not to mention trying to buy straight 40 weight motor oil) and it also seemed like we were limited as to repair shops that had someone on staff that knew their way around the 8V92.

This may not be a factor for Viv, but it seems to me that with prices where they are now stepping into a series 60 may be the way to go.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

AJ the thing was a bit of a novelty from the day it was designed and as far as your concerns I believe that day if ever is a long way off.

Default Viv Needs Some Help

Viv called me last night and asked if I would be willing to contact Dr. Steve katz the owner of Prevost Trader in Lakeland Fl. PrevostTrader@comcast.net
    Ph# (239) 229-8207

Steve is a retired Dentist, born and raised in New York. Throughout his career Steve owned a motorhome, and ran a motorhome business.

Steve is a Prevost owner and enthusiast, and comes to us from Naples Coach.

Steve seems like a decent guy, and am sure once he is able to recall the circumstances will take care of this problem and refund Viv her $5,000 Deposit.

I said that I would call Steve, but asked Viv to send along as much detail as possible, she did.

I am hoping for feedback on how best to proceed and if you know Steve could you ask him to deal with this misunderstanding.

I would like to preface this by saying that I have spoken to Steve this morning, and the outcome, lets say was less than successful.

Steve's response to me was that Viv made an offer to purchase the 1993 Prevost H and that she is known by at least 12 dealers as a real pain in the neck and has wasted their time over the past months with false intentions.

The dilemma here is that nothing about this transaction appears to be normal, the entire communication with Viv and Steve in my opinion is way out of the ordinary. Here are a few pieces of communication that Viv has shared, see below labeled 1 & 2.:

I think there is some type misunderstanding and am also certain that Steve Katz wants to help out in this matter, and certainly would not want to be thought of as a dealer who would take advantage of an elderly Widow who was trying to live out her dream, especially if she had changed her mind.

My hope is that if anyone knows Steve Katz (as I might have confused him with my phone call today) would you share Viv's desire for the return of her $5,000. deposit as she is no longer interested in the purchase of this 1993 Prevost any longer.

FootNote: You might note that at no time has Viv seen this coach, she does not know who owns this coach and has no one else inspect this coach on her behalf, and has signed no contract to purchase the Bus to the best of my knowledge.

#1. PrevostTrader

Phone: (239) 229-8207 Fax (352)753-9799

sales@prevosttrader.com

Dear Vivian:
    Congratulations on the purchase of your Prevost coach. We wish you many years of enjoyment with your new “home on wheels”. By choosing a Prevost, and especially one that was converted by Liberty, you have selected a coach that originally sold for over one million dollars.
    I can tell you that I know this coach very well, and that it has received several mechanical updates and upgrades by Prevost in Jacksonville, Detroit Diesel, and by Liberty in Stuart, Florida.
    The interior was re-modeled in 2004, and the current owner has installed new tires, new A/C and many other items that make your coach even better.
    Vivian, you bought a great coach at a great price.
    Insurance
    I have referred many clients to Thum Insurance (406)327-0401. Ask for Melissa and tell her that Steve from PrevostTrader referred you.
    They understand Prevost coaches, know what coverage you need, are nice to deal with, and will give you a good rate
    Sales Tax
    I suggest you call the Heggen Law Office (406)327-0401. Tell them you are buying a Prevost and would like to set up an LLC. Tell them you were referred by Steve from PrevostTrader. They do it all the time, will help you get it registered, are nice to deal with, and they are experts at it.
    Delivery
    I need to know when you are planning to pick up the coach. Prior to that day I will send wiring instructions to the seller, for the balance.
    Directions
    You will be going to 139 Old Trail Rd, Duncannon, PA 17069. Mapquest says it’s 184 miles, and will take 3 hours and 12 minutes.
    Yes, it’s really true. Call me with any questions.
    Steve Katz
    PrevostTrader

#2.
    Decline of purchase of 1993 Prevost Liberty Elegant Lady

Evening Steven Katz,

I am rescinding my offer to purchase the 1993 Prevost Liberty Elegant Lady Bus Conversion you advertised on your Website...Prevost Trader...based on complications in the transaction...whereas I was not given the opportunity to see and drive this coach after my PNC Bank Wired you my deposit yesterday afternoon...

Very respectfully I decline the offer to purchase this coach...
    Thanking you in advance for the return of my deposit...

I remain yours truly.........
    Vivian A. McGraw
    Vivian McGraw
    836 Maple Ave.
    Brick, NJ
    732-458-3480
    732-779-1227

Viv gave me permission to post and share with you the details today.

Steve Katz
    PrevostTrader@comcast.net
    phone
    (239) 229-8207

Tully Guest

What a mess. I have done business in the past without an actual signed contract. To say the least, always ended up being a problem or situation gone bad.

I would make one final demand. No game playing. State that if funds are not returned the States Attorney will be contacted for help in bringing proper closure. Be done with it and do just that.

I bought a 1974 Plymouth Cuda off Ebay. Car was a mess and not as described. Even with their " protection program" I ended up being on the loosing end with a rusted and patched up Cuda. My attorney sent
    demands letter and nothing. I do not know who this Steve is but once money is wired it can become almost impossible to get it back. Give him one chance and one chance only to get you $ back.

100% percent of my deals are now in person, face to face and eye to eye.

Best of luck on this one.

Tully Lee Garrett

Tully,

That's probably good advice. Once the money is gone, it can be a real hassle getting it back.

By the way, my last E-body was a '70 Challenger RT/SE....and a big block to boot...!