Joe,

I can't dispute a thing you have said. But for you and Viv this needs to be put in context. Like you, an older bus does not scare me. But we both know that until stuff gets sorted out the dream has the potential to be a nightmare.

Viv should not be exposed to anyone that could take advantage of her, so at least in my mind I would like her to get a coach that offers no surprises. There are two ways to do this on a budget. The first is to find that hidden jewel. The coach in her price range that has been well maintained, has just gotten a new set of tires and batteries and has everything working. That ideal coach will be cheap, and have detailed service records. That is her dream. (That version of the dream is unlikely)

The second option is to get a coach that has the colors and layout she wants, but is more typical of the condition of an older coach. That coach has to be dirt cheap so after the purchase it can be turned over to someone like you, and your mission will be to redo the underside and after you have taken care of the entire chassis, you will go through the house portion and do the same thing. It may cost $20,000 or $30,000 to fully restore it, but when Viv takes it on the road she will be driving a bus that is not going to expose her to mechanics who will take advantage of her.

I know from experience however that as these coaches age, surprises lurk around every corner. None of us can predict where the next failure will be on an older coach, especially one that has been rode hard and put away wet. It is the nature of the beast. Heaters and furnaces fail, unnoticed water tank leaks rot the bay floors long before the minor leaks are noticed, AC units quit for no apparent reason, alternators fail, seals leak, lights burn out, etc. What you and I see as minor, easily fixed, and no problem could be a huge problem to Viv and I think every single post and all the advice given has been made with the intent to shelter Viv from becoming a victim as much as we can.

I don't think anyone here is down on these conversions because they are unreliable, because they occasionally require service, or because they are not to be trusted. I think everybody here is being cautious because none of us wants to see Viv hurt.