Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Shift problem

Default Transmission Shift problem

I had some warranty items taken care of at Prevost Ft. Worth this past week and commenced to driving the 185 miles home. Everything was working flawlessly until I slowed down to take the loop around Abilene towards home. At this point the transmission (world) would not shift beyond 4th gear. I limped on home from that point. First thought was transmission fluid. Full.......After sitting for about an hour and cooling down, I jumped back in and drove down the road and it operated perfectly.

Any thoughts as to what may have caused this and what I should do about it?
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

I'm no transmission expert, but I do know that an Allison dealer can connect your tranmission via the internet to a computer that can give you a report. It has enough detail to even show the amount of wear on the clutches.

Hi Tony. Did you look at the oil to see if there was coolant contamination. If you have a Allison directory, you can also check the codes. Try Allisons website also for trouble shooting tips. http://www.allisontransmission.com/
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Tony: I had that happen to my Royale. It was the shifter keyboard. The brains are under the shifter buttons. Mine got wet and required a rebuild on the unit. I was lucky to find a repair shop and did not have to buy a new one $$$$$. Some times while gearing down you hit the wrong button, like neutral or reverse. It fakes out the computer and it needs a time out to get back on track. Also do not spray water through the window crack onto the shifter keyboard. Now mine gets a towel over it when I'm washing the bus.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Tony,

A similar thing happened to me at the Sevierville rally. I was playing with the mode button and the tranny jumped into neutral. The solution was to turn off the engine, wait a minute or so, and then restart (re-boot the transmission computer) the engine.

After that incident, I began having trouble with the shift pad, when I would press the buttons it would not respond. Through trial and error I determined that I had to press the center of the button and not the outer edge. Everyting is fine now. The point is the transmissions can be a little finicky. I would just have it checked out at your local Allison dealer.

Love your bus, the colors are beautiful. I hope to see it one day at a rally and meet you and your wife.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Lightbulb

Tony, looking over manuals that came to me with the Bling Mobile, I read about how one can pull up any fault codes of the transmission through the shifter pad of the bus. I don't remember exactly how to do it and the bus is now 100mi away, but maybe someone else can instruct you. It was easy though and something like pushing two finger pads at the same time, waiting a little and then counting the flashing light for a two digit number that is then cross referenced to a fault list. There is an extremely long list of faults so it is possible that your problem is listed.

JIM

Once upon a time I had speed sensor replaced on a 97 Liberty coach because of a inconsistent shift pattern. Shifted hard from 3rd to 4th - cost about 100 bucks installed-- It was diagnosed by the local Allison dealer with his lap top.

About a year later the problem returned, I did nothing more than jiggle the wires and check the connection to make sure they were secure and it fixed it again. The speed sensor on that tranny is located on the drivers side on the side of the tranny housing.

another two cents.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Default Codes

Thanks for all of the input, I am going to try to get it to display any error codes for me and go from there. You guys are a great help for us newbies.

Much thanks to the exiled AIG/government employee as well. The call gave me some much needed direction.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Tony,

The way to have the shifter pad display the codes is simple. Press the up and down arrow keys similtaneously with the engine running and in neutral. It will go thru it's sequence and error codes will be displayed after it checks your oil level. When it is finished checking oil level it will display: O L O K
    Then if you have any codes they will display.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Default Thanks

Tuga,

Thanks for that. Saved me a half hour of reading to find that.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4