Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awnings

Yankee802 Guest

Default Awnings

I want to add awnings to my coach, can anyone recomend anyone near the Norfolk Virginia area? I'm thinking Zip Dee, of course I'm not familiar with the different brands, all I've heard about is Zip Dee, I assume there is a reason for that...

Any guess what to expect for a installed price? I'm guessing about 2k?

Geoff, there are any number of awning mfg. out there. And the pricing will vary just as much. I don't think $2k will begin to cover it, so be prepared.

Girard makes a great unit. http://www.girardsystems.com/

Zip De as you mentioned also makes great units. http://www.zipdeeinc.com/

So many things to consider, type, fabric, style, and then there is the installation options.

You have your work cut out for you, for sure.

Gary S.

Geoff,

I had good luck with A&E awnings and felt that they were much better than Carefree awnings on other coaches. I also had good luck with Girard awnings.

However, since you are installing them on a Prevost, I would only consider Zip Dee and Girard, as anything else will likely diminish the value of your bus.

Two grand won't even come close to a beginning. I had 2 window awnings and slide toppers installed on our '03 Beaver (Carefree) and that was more than $3,000.

We recently had our Zip Dee patio awning on the Liberty "upgraded" with a new motor, reconditioned controller, 2 new rafter arms and one side arm.

No fabric. Still one original side arm and all original hardware.

That cost alone was more than $4,000, installed. If you go the Zip Dee route, you can save a considerable amount of money by installing a manual patio awning rather than an automatic one.

Good luck....

jelmore Guest

Quote Originally Posted by phorner View Post
    We recently had our Zip Dee patio awning on the Liberty "upgraded" with a new motor, reconditioned controller, 2 new rafter arms and one side arm.

No fabric. Still one original side arm and all original hardware.

That cost alone was more than $4,000, installed. If you go the Zip Dee route, you can save a considerable amount of money by installing a manual patio awning rather than an automatic one.
    The nice thing about a manual awning would be no electronics or air! Low maintenance. The previous owner had the above service done, and we had to replace the motor for $1000. Had Zip Dee quote new fabric only, installed, and it was around $2000. All of that said, awnings are great to have.

Hi Geoff. Zip Dee manual. The Automatics are nice, but with hassels.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Geoff,

I have a Girard 2000 electric awning and it has been trouble free for 10 years. If you want an electric awning, I would recommend a Girard. It has a remote control that I keep in my car glove box and when it is raining we hit the remote control and open the awning and drive the car under the awning so we don't get wet. It's great!

One disadvantage to a Girard is they can not take as much wind as a manual awning because the support arms are different. Either way you go you'll love your new awning.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Tuga,

Be VERY careful leaving that Girard awning open in the rain.

Their own documentation states clearly that their awning is a sun shade only, and not intended to be open during significant rainfall. If there is a sudden downpour, the rain can collect on the fabric and stretch it down between the rafters, then not be able to automatically retract if the wind kicks up.

Luckily, we never experienced that with our Girard, but I have seen it happen to others....

If you want to seriously devalue your coach put the kind of awnings they sell at Camping World on your bus.

Your vintage came with ZipDee awnings and matching chairs, usually with an ugly striped fabric and matching ZipDee folding chairs.

If you put the manual ZipDee awnings on they will be what your coach was supplied with and although they will not go up or down with the press of a button they will be reliable and will last for years and years.

If you opt for newer styles you will need to bring power to the awning and do a lot more installation work than just bolting things to the coach. All awnings are for shade and none that I know of can be used safely in rain or winds.

Geoff, The cost of respectable awnings for your coach may shock your budget a bit. Yours probably won't be as big, but I spent well over 20K for the Girards on my coach and I did the entire installation.

Default Patio Awnings

I Have Had 2 Coaches With Zee Dee Auto Awnings And Have Had Trouble With Both. I Just Replaced An Air Valve On My Coach At A Cost Of $4oo And Am Still Having Trouble . The Manual Ones Work Every Time And Are Not Much Trouble To Let Out And Back In. Just My 2 Cents Worth. Bill C