Thread: Batteries,Chargers,Balance Lights Oh My!!!!

Ed Hart Guest

Default Batteries,Chargers,Balance Lights Oh My!!!!

House batteries, can one or two batteries be replaced or do all the batteries need to be repalced as a set? Also need info on BAT BAL light on dash coming on. added third battery equalizer and lost field excitation to alternator at requlator. Service department wants to replace all house batteries, regulator, and bat/bal light switch. I need advise before I spend alot of money. thanks for an imediate response. Ed Hartunian ed.hartunian@ehcontracting.com

Ed,

I went through this not too long ago. Most everything you will read, says to change all batteries at the same time. If you don't, the charge rate will be different for the new ones and the old ones. Some may over charge or others may be undercharged.

If I had battereis that were a year or so old and only one went bad, I would replace the one. If over half their normal life expectancy was gone, I would replace them all. I replaced 2 of 6, then realized the other 4 were over 3 years old, so I replaced them also.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Ed, it will be a huge help if you add a signature line with your year of coach, converter and any other infor you think will help us answer questions.

These comments are general....What Dale said is correct. If one or two batteries in a set are bad, replacing just them not only creates charging issues, but the failed batteries may already have adversely affected the others. As to the BAT BAL light, on most coaches that light along with some other annunciator lights are powered by a Vanner monitor located generally above the chassis batteries. If the voltages when measured at the terminals on the bottom of the equalizers are correct (12V terminal reading should be 1/2 of the 24V reading =/- 1/2 volt) then the monitor has likely gone bad. I don't know from your post if your vintage predates the use of the Vanner monitors.

I assume you are saying relative to the alternator voltage regulator that the mechanic has determined by testing that the regulator has failed. If that is the case a replacement makes sense. The test is easy and takes a few minutes to determine if a charging problem is the alternator or the regulator.

Hi Ed. Don't replace those house bateries with just any type. Make sure to verify what make and type of battery is now being used. Gel or Glass matt by 'Lifeline batteries 'would be my choice. You can get a discount as a POG member as well.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Ed,

Also make certain you don't have a bad monitor (bat/bal light), you could easily spend money unnecessarily. If it's a Vanner system and you have a test light, they will run you through the test to be certain it's not the monitor. They are very helpful and the tech guys are glad to help. I had an 80.00 bad monitor, when I was told to replace the 900.00 equalizer!

Dido on the batteries, go Lifeline and do them all if needed.