Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to sell the bus

jelmore Guest

Default Where to sell the bus

Need some advice on where to find a buyer. Here's winter on us and we're in Oklahoma on pause. It's time to sell (has been for a few months) and we're faced with a choice of heading West (Palm springs, Tucson, Vegas) or East (Florida) for the winter. The bus is on the internet and we get a few calls but we get more looks from a sign if we're in the right place.

So we're looking for the right place to be with the right people at the right time. Any advice on where might be the best part of the country to find a buyer this winter? Maybe there's not a buyer out there right now and we ought to just enjoy the ride, but if there's a chance to sell it, we'll do it.

It's interesting the people we've talked to . . . those that would like to move up to something like ours can't do it because they can't sell theirs. Others are bypassing this vintage and are spending more on something newer. And others are only looking for the distressed sale. Looking around, there doesn't seem to be too many for sale, but I guess there's aren't very many buyers right now.

And other selling advice would sure be welcome. Thanks.

If I had to sell a bus in this market I would swallow hard and put a lowball price on it.

I would advertise it on P-Stuff and everywhere else.

I don't think your bus or mine will please everybody. Some want slides, some want the XLII style, some want different colors, etc. What cuts through a lot of crap is price. Having said that however, those in a position to buy a bus are sitting on their money because nobody knows what is happening with the economy and the new president. On Cooper's site he has 2 1995 45 footers listed, one of which the price had been dropped to $125,000 for a while. Neither are Libertys, and neither look to be pristine, but it is posted prices like that killing the sellers of other coaches because buyers see those prices and think that is a starting point.

Add to people sitting on their cash, lenders still overly cautious, an unknown future, and it looks like the used coach market has ground to a halt.

If a lowball price doesn't do it, nothing will.

Jim, this guy can sell your bus. It will cost you some $ and you might get a better price elsewhere, but if you need to sell, he can get it done. He is located in North Texas about 50 miles north of Dallas. Paul Davis, good guy.

http://www.mrolivers.com/Web_09_Consignment.html

dalej Guest

Jim, as I read your question, I thought that the price is pretty high.

Then I thought that this is a really good place to ask, What is my bus worth? I understand that at this time when most have bought high and now must sell low or wait it out.

Knowing that no one wants to sell to low, just ask the good folks here what do you think my bus is worth. If it's priced fair then I see no reason that it won't sell.

I'm going to stick my neck out and put $______ on it....... no I better let people that buy and sell bus's do that.

jelmore Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dalej View Post
    Jim, as I read your question, I thought that the price is pretty high.
    Yes, I think the price is high also. It fairly reflects, though, the effort and expense we've put into getting it right. I know some that have sold have gone for much less, but I guess we're holding out (it's all negotiable!!) until desperate or until the buyer comes along that want's the latest and greatest that Prevost and Liberty had to offer in a rivet Classic.

With regard to the price, are people are shy about making an offer? We've had only one serious offer and that was for $245. Couldn't do it.

Petervs Guest

Hi Jim and Linda.

Sorry to report, but in today's market $245k is actually a very good price, Maybe high even. I would seriously think a realistic value would be $199k.

Prices have dropped at least 30% in the last 3 months. They will never go back up either. Well, maybe in 75 years when we have had a pile of inflation and your coach becomes a collectors item with historical merit ( those were the days of opulence and cheap diesel available at every freeway offramp). You can not go by historical sales prices, because almost nothing has sold recently.

Like Jon said, nobody with cash is spending it because everybody thinks they can get the same coach even cheaper next month. Most can not get financing because lenders have no cash and are gunshy. And most people's houses have tanked in value so they can no longer get a home equity loan to buy a bus with, and which they never really expected to pay back because the house was supposed to keep rising in value.

Don't take this personally, the prices of all RV's , boats, vacation homes, airplanes, used cars, etc have all done the same. It is time for a reality check. And you can also see that new vehicles are not selling either. New ones are not cheaper yet because the cost of manufacture has not gone down, so all the factories are laying off people, cutting back on production, or closing down. Many people who might have bought a new one say 'gee whiz, for half the cost of new I can buy one a year or two old'. And a coach like yours, now 9 years old, well, it just took a giant depreciation.

The value of our coaches is in the use and enjoyment of them, not in the resale value. If you buy it, it only makes sense to own it for a very long time and derive the value from it's use.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is the real world today.

Jim & Linda, we have had a lot of activity on our busses for sale. We just sold a 99 Marathon XLV w/165K miles for $265k. We have a buyer on our 00 Marathon XLV @ $290K, waiting for funding. Nice coaches are still bringing reasonable $'s. The key is condition, colors, and $'s. The 99 Marathon had 3 buyer's all @ once, it was a very clean coach w/good neutral colors. Financing is still available for coaches 1994 & newer. We have sold 4 coaches with a 18 coach inventory in the last 10 days. I do agree it is a buyers market, but there are still a lot of buyers out there.
    Steve & Rhonda Bennett
    Dana Point, CA
    92 Marathon XL40
    2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
    Owner: California Coach Company, LLC

Jim and Linda,

I want to tag onto Peter's comments a little. He and I share the opinion these things are depreciating assets to be enjoyed to their fullest. As such you get the most bang for the buck by retaining a coach for as long a time as possible.

I cringe (and often remark) everytime someone on this forum uses the term "investment" in any discussion regarding a coach purchase.

Your coach represents the epitome of the rivet coaches. Liberty and Prevost had the absolute maximum experience producing your coach. The design was fine tuned by both, and that year represents the most years of experience by both in a long produced design.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that because it looks like every other XL built since the 45 foot coaches were introduced what you see as its worth, the market cannot see. You make a comment about improvements you have made. It is sad fact that you could do a $25,000 new paint job, spend twice as much changing the fabrics and flooring and upholstery, upgrade the sound system and add all new flat screen TVs and not a buyer in the market will give you 5 cents on the dollar for those expenses. Your coach is going to bring what the market says a coach of that vintage is worth modified by its condition to a small extent.

The same holds true whether you are selling a yacht, a plane or a high end car.

If you need to sell, get a lowball price. Otherwise plan on owning it, enjoying it and wearing it out yourself. The prices will never climb, but as the economy strengthens, and lenders loosen up their money the rate of depreciation will slow down dramatically. It is likely whatever it is worth today is what it may be worth in two or three years.

Steve works very hard to bring value to both buyers and sellers. I would respect his opinions and if you want to get as much as this market is willing to spend you and he should talk.

Jim,

I cannot recommend Steve Bennett highly enough. He has sold my previous coach, and a number of coaches for POG members. Unlike other sites which simply put up an advertisement, Steve works hard to sell and support the vehicles.

If you're coming west possibly, please contact Steve, and consider the possibility of selling your bus through his company. Ultimately Steve advertises on a number of RV sites, including P-stuff, so you will get a lot of exposure.

Ray

Jim,

Mind if I ask, are you getting out entirely or selling to move up? Down? There may someone out there who would like to trade? Fell free to PM me.

Richard Beecher