Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Liberty heating systems

this weekend, and we tried a little experiment. We kept the slide-outs in!
    Is it not fair to say that generally a coach with slides that are in are much tighter inside than a coach without slides. I'd venture to say that wasn't really a fair comparison.

Certainly, slide outs give you much more room. That's a given. But, comparing against a slide coach with the slides in, I think was probably a bit unfair test.

Ray

ps: sorry, I seemed to say the same thing three times! Need more coffee this morning. But you get the point ...
    Last edited by Ray Davis; 11-11-2008 at 12:02 PM.

Tuga, I agree with Ray. You really didn't have a good way of assessing the usable space the way you did it.

A Non Slide coach has more useable room in it, than a slide coach with its slides in, because of the way the slide coach has to be built to handle the slide. It sure sounded better in my head, sorry if it didn't come out right.

On our last outing we had a slide problem, and I wasn't a happy camper. We stayed the weekend anyway, but when we considered going the next weekend, and I knew the slide wasn't working, I SAID HELL NO, I WON'T GO.

The good news is the slide is fixed, but the bad news it is still at Prevost Ft. Worth having more work done, so we still can't go camping.

Oh well, maybe soon? Bottom line Tuga, we are believers in at least One slide for the extra space when camping it allows, BUT EVEYONE has their opinions.

Gary S.

Thanks for your response Ray, I understand what you are saying. Karen and I and her Mom were just discussing me wanting a non slide coach and that was the first thing we thought of to test it. So we did.

A few weeks back I thought that I had convinced myself that I could get used to a non slide bus. Now, I'm not so sure.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

How about something like this for a test?

Arrange a mini-rally with a couple of your POG friends. Then arrange a one day/night bus swap. They use yours for one day/night, and you use theirs for one day/night.

Might be fun?!

Ray

ps: This effort might be in vain, however. Certainly from what I hear that once you go to slides, it's hard not to have them. And, they add a signficant cost to a Prevost.

Ray,

That is a great idea! I think that would answer many questions that Karen and I both have about going back to a non slide coach as well as comparing a Newell to a Prevost regarding liveability. If anyone out there is planning to go to the "space shuttle lauch" mini rally in Feb. 2009 and would like to swap coaches for one night we would love to try it. However, Karen stays with me!

I am also curious about how much effort is involved in washing and drying an XL. I'm sure I'll have more takers on the washing part than on the sleeping/living part.

Ray - you have come up with a great idea. Thanks
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Gary,

If you don't mind sharing, what was wrong with your slide?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

I am also curious about how much effort is involved in washing and drying an XL. I'm sure I'll have more takers on the washing part than on the sleeping/living part.
    Tuga,

I'm sure you'll get a lot of answers on this. A lot of it depends on what you're washing with, etc.

I can generally give a "quick wash" to the bus in about 1 hour. That doesn't include drying the whole bus, but would include a wipe-down of the stainless.

Several people on the forum use de-ionized water systems which eliminate or lessen the need to dry, so a one hour wash is possible. Obviously in that timeframe, you're not going to get on top of the bus and wash the roof.

Actually truth be told, I've found that going to a truck wash (Beacon, Little Sisters etc) is generally a great value. For about $1.50 per foot, you get your rig washed, and hand dried. I've been very happy with the quality at these places too. So, for somewhere around $60 to $70, you get your bus washed, and looking good, including completely washing down the roof. Hard to beat.

Ray

Ray,

I wash my coach with soap and water and a brush. It takes me about 2 hours. I dry the rims and mirrors with a towel and the windows with a squeege. I let the painted surfaces air dry; they don't show any streaks because I use Nu Finish car wash. It is really good stuff.

I would like to use one of those deionized water systems. I watched JDUB wash his Marathon one morning at Sevierville. He used a brush with soap and water and rinsed with deionized water. It came out beautiful.

I have never washed the roof of any MH that I have owned and never will. Too dangerous! I would like to try out a truck wash; sounds like a good deal if they wash it with a brush and soap & water.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Tuga,

Just to chime in regarding the issue with slides, our '03 Beaver was a triple slide, 42' coach. The inside was VERY cramped when the slides were in.

Our Liberty is much more comfortable compared to the Beaver with the slides in.

In fact, one of the reasons that we wanted a non-slide bus was because we realized that once we went to a 45' bus, the over night stops would probably end up in rest areas or parking lots while in travel mode and we wanted to be just as comfortable in a rest area as we would be in a campground.

We are very happy being slide-free!

The bonus is that I never need to crawl under a slide out to get stuff from one of the storage bays.

If you decide on a slide coach, make sure you spend some time in it with the slides closed..... you will spend at least some time on the road as such.

Just food for thought......

Default Slide Problem CUT WIRE

Tuga there were two problems:

One caused by the RV installers when they put on my SMI Toad brake system up in Denton, TX. They inadvertantly cut the two main wires going to the slide brains, that were under the bus, when they installed my brake system. Good news is they paid for my headache and cost going back to Prevost for that fix.

The other was a Prevost factory recall about the metal supports ( or lack of ) as well as the thickness of SS they used for the roof in the slide. ( Possible Water leaks ) It is all being covered under warranty, and I am only out of the bus for 2-3 weeks. Peg and I never had any water leaks, but apparently the previous owner did, cause he did some caulking solutions on the slide roof.

ITS ALL GOOD Go with at least one slide!

Gary S.