Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holding Tank Odor

Default Holding Tank Odor

Has anyone used this product or something else that works.
    http://www.alwaysfreshinc.com/how_it_works.html

sawdust_128 Guest

Read Phred's Poop Sheets here:

http://www.phrannie.org/phredex.html

I use a little "Rid-X". I wait until there is about 10% fill on the black tank and then add about a teaspoon. I had a little bit of a build up in the black tank when I first got the coach. I used Rid-x this way and did a little extra flushing of the tank the first few times I dumped. Cleaned it right up. If I am leaving the coach for a day or two, If the gray tank is about 50% I will ad some to it as well. I'm not sure it does anything, but I feel better about it.

If you are getting odor in the coach, I would suspect that you have something wrong in venting, valves or in the plumbing. But that's just my guess.

No! I don't know why he named them that.

lewpopp Guest

I would guess the question was if anyone used "Always Fresh", not what do you other jokers use.

Yes I used it. Purchased at an RV show and put in 2 scoop per tank full near the beginning of the black fill up and it worked great.

Why don't I use it now? When I ran out, it was easier to get the liquid shit stuff and I haven't come across the product since. It seemed to be easier to store the liquid than the tub which was always along side of the toilet and I didn't like that.

I think I went to the single serving packets you just throw in the pot and I liked that because I wasn't over dosing and wasting Lewbucks.

Why would anyone need this poop deodorant? If the bus venting system is OK it should not be needed, and if the venting is not OK, the solution is to make the venting OK.

What everybody should be concerned about is what the industry calls FOG (fats, oil, greases). That is a material if put down the drain of any type of facility, house, bus, restaurant or whatever is going to create problems.

The solution is to not put that stuff down the drain, but if you cook a lot and dump greasy water down the drains eventually the pipes will plug and the holding tank will have its walls covered with FOG. As FOG ages it get not like a greasy sticky material as most would imagine, but an adobe like material lining pipes and the holding tank.

It must be mechanically removed, or if certain guidelines are followed bacteria that digests the material can be used. Any think other than natural products in the waste stream actually create more problems than they solve. Deodorants, formaldehydes and the myriad of other products often advertised as enzymes only create wealth for their purveyors.

My guess is Mike knows more about fats oil and grease than anyone, and the solution to waste line problems is to let them do what they are supposed to do without adding stuff that masks a bigger problem.

I have used the chemicals also, but come to the conclusion that all this nice smelly stuff and snake oil does nothing, providing your vents are doing their job.

Now if you want an expert opinion, we all know Jdub is the master of stink!

Jon is much to modest about his past association with FOG.

One of his many adventures in the past was developing the perfect grease trap for restaurants. Then hawking them across the country.

Unfortunately Mango Mike's doesn't have one of Jon's traps. We tried numerous wonder chemicals and bacteria agents to eat the grease and finally resorted to this:

jetter.jpg

Once every 3 months we take the 3000 psi Jetter to the pipes. Works like a charm.

mm

Just get a can of this. I think Mango Mike sells it at his place......

who_did_that.jpg

OK, That was all great for a good laugh.
    Here is the rest of the story.
    I've had the coach for 21 months. The toilet is a Microphor unit that is located directly over the black water tank. The toilet has and internal venting line that goes from the hopper to the bowl above the water line. This tubing is routed to have a water trap in it to prevent odors and the water trap works perfectly. The entire hopper assembly was was replaced so it holds water perfectly. I have personally removed the toilet twice. First time I thought the wax gasket was bad and replaced that. Same issue again. Pulled the toilet and bench tested the entire operation (that is something few have done, and I am sure you would have liked to see that). While the toilet was off, I over-filled the black water tank (after dumping it and rinsing it) through the floor flange until it was completely full to check for leaks. No leaks. Reinstalled the toilet with new wax gasket and still have mild odor problem. The issue gets worse as it is warmer, as you would expect. The holding tank is poly or some type of plastic. So that leaves the vent pipe. There is nothing visible blocking the vent pipe. How do I check that the pipe is clear and venting properly. I agree that there should be no need for chemicals or whatever. However, I do not know what the previous owners may have put down there. I am getting no smell out of the grey water system.

Jim,

You are talking basic plumbing. Traps are just as the name implies. Because of a water filled trap, odors cannot come back up through a sink or drain from the holding tank or sewer lines because the water is the seal.

Vents however are never filled with water. Never ever. Vents traditionally are immediately downstream of a trap and vent to atmosphere above the roof. The exception is a vent for an island sink where there is no way to have a vertical run of vent. Any horizontal runs of vent pipe have the potential to become a trap, defeating the purpose of the vent. Those island sinks for example might have an air admittance valve, a device that permits the inflow of air to aid draining via a ball check, but no outflow since the ball check remains closed except when water flows in the drain.

So I doubt if your vent line is venting, but it is likely preventing the odor coming through it.

If your system is sealed theoretically you cannot get odors as long as the drain lines and holding tank are vented. If you are getting odors are you sure that there was not an overflow or leak at one time that saturated the sub floor or some crevices? During a scientific survey take in Mobile we found every body sits on their toilets except Truk, who likely also has an odor problem. The women do not consider the men to be marksmen.

Jim,

I use AlwaysFresh in my rig, both black and gray. I think it's the best stuff available.

Ken