Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Front end allignment

Quote Originally Posted by 0533
    I also feel that if you have a heavy front end or do not like the ride with your air pressure at 120 lbs. then you might consider the 365 70R 22.5 upgrade. This will offer a higher weight limit, lower air pressure, wider tires, deeper tread and a better overall ride, but it all comes with a price.
    Bruce, can you give me a ballpark on this upgrade? Both of my XL2's have ridden a little heavy in the front, and I think I would benefit from the lower air pressure.

In fact, on my recent trip I noticed in the mornings when it was very cold, that the ride was definiately smoother than later in the day when the tires heated up.

Ray

That is interesting Ray. When I picked my bus up in Coburg I noticed the same problem. Each morning when I first started out on my trip back east I would notice that the tires felt hard and the ride felt uneven almost out of balance for a bit until the tires heated up. When I changed all of my tires out this past spring we noticed that all tires had used the silicon power material for balancing. The tire guy at Prevost said that in the morning and when the moisture builds up the powder can get clumped up in places until the tire is heated up and the ride feels funny for a while.

I do not get this feel at all anymore with the new Michelin tires balanced with weights.

Anyway this does not answer your question. The 365 upgrade costs about $4K. for each position (some dealers are charging $5.5K for this upgrade) Depending on your bus. Don't forget though that to make the complete transition you should add the 365's to the Tag position as well, so double the price. The cost includes New studs, new stud pattern and install, new wheels and of course the tire and install. I would make certain that I had this done by Prevost (they warrantee the install for one year) and make sure it was done by a technician who has installed several upgrades. Its a little tricky wiggling the tires into the wheel wells. The tires are about 2.5" wider than the 315 80R's and look like they will touch your fender wells but they do not. There is ample room for proper turning radius as well. I also took the time to have my ride height adjusted, and a three axle alignment at the same time just to be sure.
    I also had my upper and lower bushings replaced while the tires were off.
    With the 365 on and depending on your front end weight load you will be able to run with about a 105lbs reducing pressure by as much as 20lbs. Just to make sure though, I would check with Prevost to see if they recommend the upgrade on your year, I suspect they will say yes.

I'll not express any opinion regarding improvements to the ride, but as one who has had to deal with tire issues while on the road a word of caution.

It is bad enough trying to replace a 315 (or even a 12.00) while on the road. If you are lucky you can get one. Luck being the key word here.

On two occasions when I have had to replace tires unexpectedly (once a 12.00 and once a 315) I was unable to get either size within a reasonable time (I'm talking days, if not weeks) I ended up getting the closest possible rolling diameter and juggling tires around putting the new replacement on the tag. I then ran those oddball sized tires (I cannot remember the sizes now) on my tag axle until I had to replace my tires. They have to be close because your ABS will not like different rolling diameters.

Once you have 365 tires on the steers you are screwed if you have a failure that requires replacement. Find out the availablity of 365 tires. Then consider what happens if one fails on the road. They look neat, they may have a ride that someone with a sensitive butt can describe as smoother, and having them puts you in big boy league. But it will not change the fact that any tire failure, anywhere on the coach once you have 365's on both the tag and steers puts you in a world of hurt. Have a plan if you upgrade as to what exactly you will do if you have a tire failure at any position on the coach.

I guess I have a sensitive butt, but Jon I thought about the question of availability as well. My conclusion was that Greyhound uses 365 on their H models that make up a large part of the fleet, all later H models use 365 on both Steer and Tag positions. Prevost has no problem providing tires and Michelin seems to have a good supply as well.

I do not think the decision to use a certain type, size or quality of tire should rest solely on availability but rather on the tires ability to match the needs of the bus, the driver and be able to last longer, ride better and be overall safer tire that does not need to be replaced as often or prone to the stress that the 315's are placed under on our heavy buses running down the road with 125lbs of air.

Until you drive a bus (our vintage with 365's on it ) I would not make any assumptions. The 14.4 inch wide tire at 105 lbs is a really great improvement, a much better handling ride, and a softer less stressful overall experience. With the added 2/32nds of tread the tire is a better choice for Prevost Buses in my humble opinion, a great upgrade and a good investment for an older bus.

thanks for the info bruce. I probably should have considered it when I put 8 new tires on the bus before picking it up. $10k is a bit steep, but may be something to consider long term.

I'm not sure if I explained my ride "feelings" correctly. I have balance masters, so I don't have a problem with moisture disturbing the balancing. What I do have is a heavy front-end, and rough roads (doesn't even need by horribly rough) can sometimes be unpleasant.

What I discovered is that when I started early morning, with temps down in the 30's and 40's (i.e. tire pressure was lower than normal), the ride was smoother. I attributed this to the lower tire pressure at the time. As we drove, and the tire temperatures raised, it seemd to get a bit bumpier.

ray

Uh...Ray....Aren't we supposed to put the required pressure in the tires before we drive? If it is cold in the morning it sounds like you allow low pressure in the hopes your tires warm up and reach the required pressure.

Hi Ray. I have the 365's on my front steer. I keep them at 110 lbs. Probably a litte higher than the suggested. Irregardless, I still feel every bump on a crumy road. I don't think lowering the tire pressure is going to reduce that very much. On the other hand, I get a great ride on good roads.
    Even in California.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post
    Bruce, can you give me a ballpark on this upgrade? Both of my XL2's have ridden a little heavy in the front, and I think I would benefit from the lower air pressure.

In fact, on my recent trip I noticed in the mornings when it was very cold, that the ride was definiately smoother than later in the day when the tires heated up.

Ray
    Ray, could you tell me what is Pro Driver?

The problem with the 365 is if your in Podunk or even near a major city, your in for a surprise. Remember, we couldn't even get a 315 while at Spearfish and the closest source was Minneapolis and 3 days transit time.

Quote Originally Posted by garyde View Post
    Hi Ray. I have the 365's on my front steer. I keep them at 110 lbs. Probably a litte higher than the suggested. Irregardless, I still feel every bump on a crumy road. I don't think lowering the tire pressure is going to reduce that very much. On the other hand, I get a great ride on good roads.
    Even in California.
    Ray & Gary,

Ray, I love my Smart Tire system; it is amazing to see the temps on the tires 140-150 degrees. Unbelieveable!

I run 130 in my STEER tires and I can feel every bump on the rough and I mean jaw bone rough roads in Louisiana. You haven't lived until you ride on US 90 between Houma and Lafayette, LA. I-10 is a cake walk compared to that bad mammy jammy!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot