Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Front end allignment

Quote Originally Posted by merle&louise View Post
    Someone told me that I should have installed STEER tires on the front; they have extra rubber on the edges. Hope that this has helped you.
    Mel, I think someone was pulling your leg about " Steer Tires" ?

I could be wrong but I don't think there is an actual tire that is made specificly for the steer tires ? I think that is just a terminology made for the front tires. As in: I moved my steer tires to the tag, and replaced the fronts with NEW tires ?

As a side note, you should have called when you first came into Houston, instead of on your way out. You and your friend could have played golf at my course "Greatwood" and had lunch at my house. I make a great grilled turkey / cheese sandwhich.Maybe next time?
    Gary S.

Default Steer Tires for a Newell

Tuga,

I checked a couple of tire shops around Houma and was able to find you a couple of Steer Tires. The dealer says they will only fit a Newell.

steerTire.jpg

mm

I can see why you wouldn't use them on the drives

I have these steer tires on my bus, every friday evening, medium rare. think Mango's on to something here.

I also agree with Gary, I do not think that steer tires are an actual tire designed for turning etc or even for the front of the bus. I do know that the use of the 365's on the front will make a difference and they do have 19/32 of tread and are 14.3" wide, a really good choice if you want better handling and more tread, see link below. The 315 80R 22.5 XZA2 are 12.5" wide and have 17/32" of tread, not quite as robust. So if you want the added tread life and width, I would highly recommend the 365 Upgrade tires from Michelin.

365 70R 22.5 specs: http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...o.do?tread=XZA

315 80R 22.5 specs: http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...=XZA2%20ENERGY

Just had my bus alignment done at our local truckstop they use the "BEE LINE EQUIPMENT". They took my tag tires balanced them and moved them to the front and then did the alignment. The problem was my right front was 2 degrees out. I hope thats how you say it the left front was good. Took it for a ride down the hwy and rode no differant but knowing that the fronts are good gives peace of mind. The bill came to $250.00 and I'am a happy camper!

Good job, Sid. Let us know after next trip if the tires are wearing evenly!

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post
    Good job, Sid. Let us know after next trip if the tires are wearing evenly!

Ray
    Ray, How was your fuel milage going cross country. I logged on about 5200 miles and got 5.9 and thats towing an going an average of 70 mph.

lewpopp Guest

I do recall that the tire companies came out with a tire for UPS years ago for the front end. It had a special extra grouve about a half inch from each side. It was to absorbe the turns and wear would be less than the wide flat surface on most tires.

I think the Michelin XZE tires are the ones with the extra wear rib. There is a name for that grouve but I cannot think of the exact nomenclature .

I also think the extra rib is made with a harder wearing compound.

I know the tires have been around for years with the extra ribs. But shit, who am I? Let the guys who buy tires every 6 minths just so they can keep the moths out of their wallet.

Orren Zook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Tuls View Post
    Just had my bus alignment done at our local truckstop they use the "BEE LINE EQUIPMENT". They took my tag tires balanced them and moved them to the front and then did the alignment. The problem was my right front was 2 degrees out. I hope thats how you say it the left front was good. Took it for a ride down the hwy and rode no differant but knowing that the fronts are good gives peace of mind. The bill came to $250.00 and I am a happy camper!
    Sid,

Was that "2 degrees out" caster, camber or toe in/out? Did the shop provide you with before and after data? Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by Orren Zook View Post
    Sid,

Was that "2 degrees out" caster, camber or toe in/out? Did the shop provide you with before and after data? Just curious
    That was toe out. Yes they supply me with a before and after sheet. It had a bunch of numbers so I just asked for the short verson. I'll more than happy to fax them to you if you like.