Thread: Problem?

Yankee802 Guest

Default Problem?

First question, when the bus is running, does the alternator charge the house batteries? And if so, does it use the charger or straight from the alternator?

Ok, so now to my problem(?). I think I'm having issues with my house batteries and/or charger. I noticed the battery level was down, and was concerned that they are not getting charged. I have a Iota DLS-27-40 charger, as well as a PE-3000WC-24-110 I use for an inverter going down the road. The Iota get's hot to the touch,(130 degrees +/-) but the fan doesn't run, but I don't know if it's hot enough or if the fan isn't working, or if this is even the issue. I haven't seen the fan in the PE run, but the documentation says it runs when needed.

I know I'm rambling, I'm just trying to get my thoughts out. My bus only has 3 leds for battery level, not very informative. I'm looking at getting some kind of monitoring panel, and I've seen online the Xantrex Truecharge Remote Monitor Panel 40+, would this be a good/compatable thing to get?

Have to get back to work.

Geoff

Every coach I have seen has an engine driven alternator to maintain the charge on house batteries. Some buses have one alternator to charge chassis and house batteries, and some have two separate alternators dedicated to the house and chassis.

The inverter and charger do nothing when driving. They are powered by shore power or the generator assuming the switches are set, or the automatic transfer switch (if equipped) is functioning.

If a charger or inverter is getting hot its life is going to be shortened. There should be a cooling fan.

Yankee802 Guest

The Iota charger has a cooling fan, looks just like a CPU cooling fan, but it doesn't spin, so I'm thinking that is probably the problem. If it was a computer, I could replace the fan no problem, but I don't know if it is the fan or the circuit board controlling the fan that might be the problem. I'll call the manufacturer and see what they say, I hate to pay $500 for a new charger if it's a $10 fan.

Geoff

Yankee802 Guest

I'm trying to find a good and compatable remote monitor panel to keep an eye on my battery/charger/inverter status. Can anyone tell me what I should get or be looking at? Would a Xantrex Truecharge Remote Monitor Panel work?

Maybe the digital remote monitors are better than my small remote with light bars, but there are only two pieces of information I need to monitor my inverters. I need to see the output AC voltage is where it needs to be, and I need to know my battery voltage so I can be sure the charger section is working.

I think the remote panel has to be specific to the inverter or perhaps several inverter models. My remote allows me to program my inverters besides monitoring the system status. You questions are best answered by the manufacturer.

Yankee802 Guest

I talked with Jay at Iota, they are sending out a replacement charger, how great is that? From our converstaion over the phone, we diagnosed the problem was the fan not running. (either fan itself or circuit board, either way they are simply replacing the charger)

I also asked him, being the manufacturer, about a remote monitor, he didn't have any suggestions other than talking to one of their distributors. I don't realy need anything elaborate, but something more than just 3 LEDs, so something like what you have Jon would probably be fine for me as well.

Geoff