Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leveling Incosistencies

My 08 Liberty uses a leveling system from Spectron Systems Technology Inc. called a Threshold angle detector.It will adjust the bus to a .3 degree in pitch and a .5 degree for roll.Just last week I used a Starrett Precision Level and adjusted the coach and now it is very level with the auto system but that does not mean that the front is as low as I might want.

I can see it now. Instead of a Bling contest in OKC we are going to have a level contest.

Instead of a Starrett Precision Level in my coach I use the shower door. If it stays open where I put it, the coach is level. I used to use a marble. If it rolled the coach wasn't level, but I am trying to cut down on stuff I carry.

Default Auto Level

If you had a Country Coach, you could just hit the level button and forget it. I use one of my grand kids building blocks on the counter top and it has never rolled off.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    I used to use a marble. If it rolled the coach wasn't level, but I am trying to cut down on stuff I carry.
    So Jon, you are leaving your marbles at Home ? I guess that is better than loosing your marbles, you at least know where you left them.

Gary S.

Marble........singular. I'm a minimalist.

ddeluco Guest

Jon,

Thanks for the info,we are taking a trip in April and will set it up your way.

Thanks again

David

2002 Lady Liberty / H-2 Hummer for fun

Default CC leveling troubles

Maybe Jon can help me with my 90 Country Coach . My coach does not have the 4 switch arrangement I see you talking about. Mine has a dial with Drive,Port,Foward,Starboard. Next to it is a seperate Rocker Switch UP or Down. When I park and go to manually level using the Level Low the only direction (up or down) that works is Down ! It will not come up! I have to return the main dial to Road and of course it brings the entire bus up ok. Of course when going down to Port, Starboard remains or seems to go up. Same with Starboard. Forward of course just goes down. The older HWH Auto Leveling works on leveling but is just not getting it to "LEVEL" and shows excessive grade in what should really be no mean feat. Lots of work has been done $$$ , Prevost said Level Low is working as intended (yet does not go up) and HWH was spellbound

Hangman.......As I said previously there have been many suspension system variations over the years made by Prevost, and adding to the confusion is the number of converter installed modifications such as your HWH system.

I do not have a clue (remember that) how CC added the HWH feature. So from here on I am speculating.

When you place your selector knob in the drive position one of your solenoid valves should open and that will result in air pressure being applied to three five port Norgren valves, shifting the internal spool so a path is open from your ride height valves to the air bags. From your description that part of the system is functioning. From that I can conclude one of the four solenoid valves on the rear bulkhead in the lower steering compartment is funtioning.

For your investigation you need to determine which one is the ride height valve. Have someone switch the knob from any position to the drive position until you have isolated which valve is the one. Your vintage coach should have 4 valves on a manifold. Look for the red buttons.

The remaining three valves relate to the raising or lowering of the coach to level it when you are not driving. Again, switch the selector to any other position except drive, and press the up/down rocker switch. Listen for and identify which valve is clicking. Since you say you can make the bus go down, but not up in any position my guess is the fault lies with the up/down switch.

I do not know if you have a multi tester or if you are mechanically inclined. If you have the tester and some basic skills you can forget about sticking your ear next to small solenoid valves to hear if they click, and instead just test the switch. If the switch actually tests OK (and there are no loose terminals) the next step is to check for voltage at the solenoid coils when you actuate the switch. Assuming you get voltage, check to make sure the solenoid coils are not "open".

With all three positions failing to raise the bus this points strongly at the up down switch as your starting point. I doubt if three solenoids would all fail simultaneously and that all three manaual positions on the selector knob would fail to pass current.

The photo below shows the solenoid valves. You should have four, not five as shown.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default CC leveling troubles

These solenoid valves are new, having been replaced last fall as part of the resurrection of the system. My Multi-Tester expertise is minimal but I do know how to use it. With these instructions, I believe I can isolate this problem and will let you know. Been a long time since I have been mechanically challenged but I am up for it. Thanks again.

Start at that up/down switch. When you get to checking the solenoids (doubtful if they are the issue if they were recently replaced) just try to learn via your ears or multitester which solenoid are energized for each command from the leveling system controls. Record that information because the next time you have to trouble shoot you will not have to check everything.

I can tell you what each of the 5 solenoids on my coach control, but it is completely different than your 4.

This is an extremely long shot and not likely to be the problem, but Prevost has shipped the wrong air bags on several coaches. They would come up to ride height, but not beyond. There were some posts regarding this. Your explaination seemed to indicate that the "Up" command would not even bring the coach up to that level so that is likely not a consideration.