Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leveling Incosistencies

Default Leveling Incosistencies

I am trying to understand the way that my "automatic" leveling system operates. During a recent trip I noticed that each time I tried to level the coach by hitting my "auto" switch, I would get a different result. Should this system be a reliable feature for leveling the coach? If so, what and where should I look to better diagnose what is happening to me?
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Tony,

Maybe someone more knowledgable about the nuances of the Liberty leveling can offer some specific service information, but I have found that the automatic leveling feature is something that gets you in the ball park but lacks the ability to be precise and apply logic.

Regarding the logic, whenever possible I want the front down as low as possible, so if I manually level the coach I drop the front end and then make whatever adjustments are necessary to level it. When the front end is high the step height is not an easy one, even with our little portable platform.

The second deficiency is accuracy. It does a good job of getting the coach close, but if we need it perfect I have to manually adjust it to get it perfect on occasion. I believe the control for automatic leveling is a pendulum whose pivoting end actuates switches which in turn actuate the solenoid valves. Even if the adjustment is perfect there will be some variation due to tolerances in switch repeatability. If your bus is consistently out of level in the exact same direction every time, I would guess that could be adjusted to be more accurate, but inconsistencies are likely as the result of tolerances.

Jon,

Any idea where the leveling devise is located in the Liberty?

On the Liberty coaches that I have seen, there is a small box suspended from the top of the first pass through bay behind the front door. There should be a warning label on the box that says that the gyro is enclosed and to be careful around it.

However, in "Auto level" mode, my bus seldom is actually level..... I always end up fine-tuning it manually.

Maybe I was expecting too much from this feature it appears that everyone has to make adjustments after auto leveling. Jon gave me his procedure for leveling. Is that the procedure that most of you use when leveling or do you have alternate methods. Jon's system sounds very logical and should work provided that you are on somewhat level ground to begin with. I was in a park in Liberty Hill, TX this past weekend that I am not sure anything would have worked well.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Go to the store (Home Depot, lowes, Ace, etc.) and buy a good quality Torpedo Level. Set it on your counter top near your Range. Get that counter top level and the rest of the bus is perfect.

I use manual most of the time. Between wanting the front to be low as Jon has said and getting the back to be lower so the shower will drain properly, it is a challenge. I do use the Auto also, but endup adjusting manually most of the time.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

The automatic leveling feature is great for showing off. It is neat to hit the automatic switch and then get out of the bus and stand amongst the other camp ground residents watching your bus level itself.

But even though the automatic feature is OK most of the time for an overnight or even to have lunch in a rest area, if we are staying in a campground for a few days we level it manually. We can criticize the automatic feature for its lack of precision, but I use it a lot and I really appreciate the ease of use for stops of short duration.

The "brains" is in a box located on the ceiling of the first bay, but the Liberty specific portions of the system includes their switches which differ from the Prevost switches which allow simultaneous operation of the functions on all three positions. The Prevost system only allows raising or lowering one position at a time.

Liberty adds two solenoid operated Norgren three port valves in the steer compartment to complete their modifications. These valves are part of the rear systems.

ddeluco Guest

Smile

I Realy Enjoyed All The Input On The Auto Level System,I Have Trouble All The Time And Haven't quite Figured It Out Yet,
    Good Stuff!

David

2002 Lady Liberty / HUMMER H-2 FOR FUN
    Last edited by ddeluco; 03-26-2009 at 12:21 AM.

David,

It couldn't be simpler......When you are parking move the switch from the "road" position to the "auto" position. The coach will level itself. The key must be on and you should be running the engine to assure that you have an air supply available.

When the coach is level, the air is locked in the air bags when you turn off the key. If you wish, prior to turning off the key put the switch back into the "road" position and then immediately turn off the key. If you wish to level the coach manually, put the switch in the "manual" position and move the front, left rear or right rear up or down as required using the three switches for that operation. When the coach is level, return the three switches to the off position and turn off the key.

Easy.