Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Generator - What have I done?

FWIW if the generator has been unused for a long period somehow it seems fuel delivery to the injectors is compromised.

I have no clue if it bleeds throught the injectors over time, or back flows or even evaporates, but on my previous coach's generator I found if I primed it after it had been unused for a while it would start immediately.

That coach had a Kubota engine and priming was as simple as putting power to the fuel pump, and opening a small valve that allowed fuel to flow through the tubing to the injectors. I have not had the problem with my current Kohler with a Yanmar engine, but if it gets reluctant to start priming is the first thing I intend to do. If a diesel engine will spin all it needs to start is fuel.

[ If a diesel engine will spin all it needs to start is fuel.[/QUOTE]

Jon: Please add to the above statement. " fuel through the injectors into the cylinders in a pre timed fashion." If the sensor that sends info on injector timing from a spinning flywheel to the DeDec engine computer is faulty or disconnected the fuel will not reach the cylinders. In this case No amount of engine starter fluid or other priming will alow the engine to start even momentarily. On a 8V engine that sensor is burried below the De Dec computer. When the computer is removed you will get a birds eye view of the sensor. The rafter rats found a nice warm cozy spot next to the sensor and proceeded to chew the wires in two. Another episode in Prevost madness.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

I had a similar problem on my PowerTech 20KW. Turned out that the fuel line had rubbed a small hole in itself and was sucking air and leaking a little fuel. This was the part of the fuel line that goes in and out with the generator as it is pulled out on the slide out. After 12 years and 8000 hours it just gave up. I replaced the fuel lines and protected them with the same spiral wrap used on backhoes etc. to protect the hydraulic lines. It should be bullet proof now.