Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generator - What have I done?

Default Generator - What have I done?

I hope this is simple, kinda like my bus' owner. After a brief 4 day trip and everything working fine, I returned home and tried to start my generator from the dash panel and it will not start. I have checked the remote start switch to make sure that it didn't get accidentally turned off and a few other minor checks and find nothing wrong. Can the group give me a few helpful hints of what to look at to see if I can get this to run? Thanks.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Liberty has a reset(red button)on the generator watchdog,I would try to reset it.There is also a method to disconnect the watchdog and start the generator without it connected,the coach manual should have the instructions for this.

Is it possible that the generator start battery is dead?

Does it turn over but fail to start or does simply nothing happen?

Does the light come on for the generator start sequence?

Ditto to the above.

Make sure the Watchdog has not tripped, but also make sure you have juice in the battery. There may be enough to engage the start cycle (glo plugs etc.) but not enough to spin it over. Try starting it outside so you can hear what is happening.

I know this is probably too obvious, but I am assuming you have at least 1/4 tank of diesel in the bus so the pickup tube for the generator is submerged..
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Diesel is good. I will check battery if reset does not work. I haven't had any battery problems, but there is always a first. The generator light does not come on when I press and hold the start from the inside panel............headed out to the bus barn.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Default status

Reset watchdog. That allowed me to remote start as I would have normally. I now realize that the reason the watchdog was tripping out is because the generator will not start. Battery is good. The engine is turning fast enough to start, but it is not starting. Thoughts appreciated.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Tony it's got to be either the fuel filter or fuel pump. See if you can disconnect the fuel line before it goes into the filter and if you get fuel pumping out when you turn the engine over, reconnect it. If no fuel pumps out, the fuel pump is bad. Then disconnect the fuel line after the filter, spin her over and see what happens. If the engine is being turned over by the starter motor at a normal speed and won't start, bet the ranch on a fuel supply problem.

Default Problem Solved!

Ted, I was just sitting here pondering my problem, and had decided it must be a fuel issue and thought that maybe I had somehow got air in the lines, because that is the way it was acting. After reading your post, I thought I would try to blead the lines and sure enough that cured the problem. Works like a champ. I don't know how air got trapped in the system, but I tightened everything up and hope that doesn't happen again.

As always, thanks to all for the input.
    Tony and Jenny Conder
    Abilene, Texas
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2008 Marathon D/S XLII
    2017 RAM 1500 4x4

Tony it might happen if you let the fuel tank get down around a 1/4 tank like Dale suggested. Only other way I can think of is changing the filter. Even pre filling the filter will cause a big gulp of air.