Thread: 2 legs or 1

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Default 2 legs or 1

I have a early 90's CC-XL over here and it is only putting out one leg of 120volt when running on the generator. I have checked the 2 circuit breakers on the gen itself and they are both good. I have also opened up all the electrical acess panels and have exposed some large relays that I believe to be the transfer switches. I have been checking terminals on these relays with a multi-meter but am getting nothing off either.

Although I have no way of checking the shore power the owner assures me that both legs are on line when shore power is supplied.

Hi Joe. When you say the breakes are ok at [I]on[I] the generator, if you have 240 volt power on both sides of that breaker then you should be able to read 240 volt at the transfer switch where the cable comes into the transfer switch.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Gary, agreed. I think I need to expose more of that battery bay in the morn. The 2 relays or transfer switches I have exposed are showing no voltage anywhere. One of the two is the switch/relay for the inverter I think and the other I assumed was a transfer for the generator or shore source but I get nothing off of it??????

Normally when the gen is fired up there is a delay before you see voltage on the cabin meter. I can stick my head in the battery/electrical bay immediately after starting the generator and can here a click when that one leg comes alive and it isn't comming from anything I have exposed yet. I think I need to go deeper and I will put up some pictures tomorrow.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 10-25-2008 at 09:39 PM.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Well I found it!

Between the generator bay port side and the electrical bay starboard, there is a compartment that is full of relays that has to be accessed by removing a panel from the back wall of the bay forward of these components.

The three wires comming from the generator all have their own relay and the one on the red wire was not tripping.

I disconnected the wires off the coils on one of the 2 good relays and the bad one, took my multi meter and set on resistance (times 100) and tested the good one then the bad. The good one read 38 and the bad one didn't move the needle (200+). I manually engaged it and the meter in the cabin for that dead leg came to life.

I do not know if it just got old or if there is another issue that has caused it to fail. Doesn't look like it is too expensive.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 10-26-2008 at 09:18 PM.