Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Detroit Engine Tune UP 42K Miles ??

You set the valves yourself?? I do not have the mechanical skills, but have always felt that if the service calls for every 12K I will do it every 6K and the end result will be a better, but I may be wrong in this case, and am not excited about ripping up the closet floor. We need to place these motors on slide out trays like the gensets.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

No Bruce I had an authorized Cat service center do it.
    I do not trust DD as much as I do Cat nor do I think one would do as well but with that said.................

Maybe this info will interest you.

Debs brother has a 60 series in a 2000 Pete. I just called him and this is what
    I learned. This is the complete history of all major service and repair.

He tries to do his valves every 200000 or so. When he does he feels no difference. He had a head gasket start leaking at 550000 and when he pulled it they discovered a cracked head and he had a factory remanufactured one put on then. At 900000 he chewed up the compressor shaft gear and redid the entire gear case. It has 970000 on it now and runs fine.

The original water pump went to 600000. The original turbo went to 750000. The air compressor is original and just recently started putting a slight amount of oil in the tanks and is on his to do list.

Many of these diesel engine field techs either own there own service trucks or have company trucks but are allowed to use them to and from work. In an emergency we all could benefit for knowing one of these guys.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 10-22-2008 at 06:00 PM.

Bruce, I had a mobil tech come to my shop to do the work. There would be no way I would let DD do this kind of stuff. I also did all the R&R work in the bedroom or this guy would not have touched the bus.

If your go na have a mechanic, in his jump suit, in the bedroom of your coach, you had better Saran rap the entire inside of your coach.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Thanks Joe, for the Jim Scoggins reference, it is so nice to see him thought of and remembered here from time to time, I miss him so very much. On an unrelated note to this thread, Lindsey Scoggins (DragonLady) went to the Balloon Festival in Albuquerque with Rita and me. It was her first trip out in a bus since Jim's passing, she is doing really well and has decided to carry on with their Liberty with Pooty the gaurd dog rideing shotgun. She told me she was going to stay with POG and use us to try to get thru the learning curve so if anybody sees the DragonLady on here asking a bunch of goofy questions you will know why. Thanks again for the interruptsion of the thread, Bill
    2005 Parliament XL-II SS
    2007 Avalanche

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

That's great to hear Bill and I'm sure your info would have drawn a quick huge set of replies if it weren't for so many who are currently down south consuming those slimy raw oysters.

We are never entirely gone till we are forgotten.

Bill: Thanks for posting the news about Dragonlady. I was very pleased to hear some good news and will be sure that the rest of POG group in Mobile is aware of Dragonlady & her plans and remembering Jim. I only met him in Sevierville, but havn't forgot him.
    Thanks again
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost