Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire Question

Yankee802 Guest

Default Tire Question

First, is there any benefit to putting covers on the tires? Being I currently only take my coach on a montly maintainance run for about 60 miles, the tires don't move much, is there any way to protect them?

Second, the previous owner stated to me the tires were recently replaced. I have no reason to doubt him and they look good to my untrained eyes. However, I did look for the dates on the tires and could only find it on a few of the tires, they were dated in 2002. Assuming these tires were put on the coach in new condition, but manufactured in 2002, what should be my course of action? Do I replace them four years from now, or now? I REALLY don't want to shell out the $4k for tires now, but also don't want any issues.

Geoff

If you believe tires need covers, then you believe the sidewalls toward the inside would never crack since they never are exposed to the sun. We all know that is not true.

From tire seminars:

Keep the tires clean. The use of petroleum based tire treatments is not recommended.

Use the tires. A rolling tire brings protective chemicals to the surface to protect the tire from cracking and dry rot.

MAINTAIN THE TIRE PRESSURES SPECIFIED FOR THE LOAD BEING CARRIED. A TIRE DRIVEN WITH THE PRESSURE DOWN BY ONLY 20% HAS EFFECTIVELY BEEN DESTROYED.

If the coach will sit for any length of time, store the tires as they do in a warehouse by taking the weight off them. (That means raising the axles until the tires clear the ground. I'm not judging how or if we should do this, just repeating what was said.)

You can likely do the research by going to the various tire manufacturer's sites. A good tread depth does not mean the tire is safe. Sidewall cracking is likely to be the reason for replacing tires because we tend to have tires age out instead of wearing out.

Geoff, During one of the seminars we had at the Branson rally (or maybe it was Tennessee), the tire manufacturer said that tires really start aging the day they are installed. This assumes that they were stored in a clean, dry warehouse prior to installation.

Several of the POG members have had tires installed and discovered they were a few years old at that time. The dates on my tires were 2 years old when installed. It does sound a little excessive that your's are newly-installed tires that were made in 2002.

If I were going to run them for any length of time, I would install one of the tire monitoring systems ($450-$600) and keep very close watch on the tires. Although not a fool-proof system, the monitors will immediately alert you if one of the tires blows out. This is very critical if it is on one of the inside drive wheels, since you might not know the tire blew until it had caused other damage to the bus. I would also update my front tires.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Yankee802 Guest

Quick question, untill I get the oportunity to accurately weight all four corners of my coach, is it wise/ok to keep 110psi in all the tires?

Ok, got another one. I read somewhere an automotive detailer used motor oil as his secret for dressing tires and keeping them shinny. Would this be a good idea for helping keeping our tires from dry rotting? You know, applying it as you would any other tire dressing?
    Last edited by Yankee802; 10-31-2008 at 10:36 PM.

Geoff, I would definitely not use motor oil on my tires. You shouldn't put anything on your tires that has a petroleum base. At the seminar I mentioned in a previous post, the tire manufacturer said tire dressings (non-petro type) make your tires look good, but don't really do anything to prolong tire life. I still like to use a dressing myself. They do look better, and I think it may help the rubber.
    Last edited by dale farley; 11-01-2008 at 11:27 AM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Yankee802 Guest

Ok, good to know, it sounded like a good idea, but figured I'd get the thumbs up/down here first.

Lightbulb Additionally

Welcome to the group Geoff, missed your entrance.

The seminar Jon was referring to also pointed out that it is ozone and not ultraviolet light that is the detriment to the tire compound.

Your best tire care is to keep them rolling, at proper pressure, clean and damage free.

Increase your usage to 60 miles twice a month for double the enjoyment.

By the way, NICE BUS!, you should be proud to have found a true classic.
    If you keep it "right" you too may realize a "million bucks" at Barret Jackson in 30 years, and break even

dalej Guest

Jim! your gone for who knows how long and you come back only to answer a tire question!!

How have you been doing? Fill us in on that bus deal!

Sorry, didn't see you posted under ?????

Picture 4.jpg

I've used this with great results. No petro chemicals.

mm

http://www.properautocare.com/303-16.html

Jim, Good to see you arise like the Phoenix.

Question What Bus

Quote Originally Posted by dalej View Post
    Jim! your gone for who knows how long and you come back only to answer a tire question!!

How have you been doing? Fill us in on that bus deal!

Sorry, didn't see you posted under ?????

It's been sooooooooo long I forgot I bought a bus

So Dale, I bought a Makita electric torque wrench from my neighbor.
    $250.00, and supposed to be new. Do you you think it will work well on lug nuts. (anyone feel free to comment)
    I hope I never need it on the road. I will give a report on its functionality at my firs opportunity.

That reminds me of something to tell all with the X12 torque multiplier. According to the manufacturer the tool components are not designed to take the stress, or speed of a lesser torque wrench such as a 1/2" model to speed and hurry the task. He says if you want to spin off the nuts get an adapter for a battery powered drill and do it that way.
    JIM