Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bridges & Overpasses & stress management?

wrongagain Guest

copilot truck 11
    its the way to go

http://www.alk.com/copilot/laptop.asp

Is isn't always about height or even weight in some cases, and the Truckers Road Atlas my not have any info for the location you are in. I was traveling in Cape Breton this past summer heading over to the West Shore to a really great campground called the MacLeods family campground to see a 52nd annual Scottish Festival. We were traveling on Rt #395 to Dunvegan Ns, came around a tight bend in the narrow road and down a steep hill another turn and this is what we found (see attached) an old narrow 10' wide wooden bridge. Needless to say that I came to a sudden stop. No signs on the bridge, Nobody around not a soul. I got out of the bus and walked up to the bridge, looked under it and all around. The cement piers looked good and the cross members (12X12 treated wood) looked good and were all sitting on their respective piers. I decided to do a little Sherlock Holmes and carefully looked around, saw lots of bark pieces on the bridge, lots of dings and dents on the bridge rails (metal) from large trucks and decided that logging trucks were using the road and and crossing the bridge. We decided to go across. Its nice to have an escape hatch in the roof with a ladder in these times. have you ever wondered wether to go slowly or to go as fast as one can to get across before the bridge realizes you are too heavy and decides to collapse.

Cape-Bretton.jpg
    Last edited by 0533; 10-21-2008 at 01:03 PM.

Ed,

To get that and other information posted on the site, go to the articles section, write a brief article along with the link and you just put it on the POG home page.

One word of caution to all.........I just looked at the link Ed posted, and from knowedge of the area I looked for a listing of the Lake Ontario State Parkway. It has notices not for commercial vehicles, but since we are not commercial one would think we are good to go. It is a spectacular road. Scenic, smooth, lightly traveled. What a nice road to drive.

You would think that until you came upon some beautiful bridges just over 11'0" tall. My point is simple. There are gotchas out there.

Super Slab driver. That's me.

"Super Slab driver. That's me."

Good advice, Jon.

Reminds me of a time when we veered off the slab and headed toward a spot in Missouri, adjacent to the Ozark National Scenic Riverways on our way to a friends property. As I recall, his words were "sure you can get there, I've got plenty of room..."

What he didn't tell me was about the nice old-fashioned faded painted wood sign that we passed along the crappy 1 1/2 lane gravel road that said
    "Caution - Warning: Ferry Ahead. Limits: 20 feet/4 tons"

My comment was well, that's just great.... we don't meet either one of those.

As luck would have it, we ended up taking an even worse road just before the ferry crossing.... but we made it!

I'm with you, Jon..... this bus doesn't leave the Super Slab either if I have any choice at all......

It is like flying a plane. Some of the best spots are out of the way, it just requires some extra planning and some big carrots, you should be fine Jon.

sawdust_128 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Ed,

To get that and other information posted on the site, go to the articles section, write a brief article along with the link and you just put it on the POG home page.

One word of caution to all.........I just looked at the link Ed posted, and from knowedge of the area I looked for a listing of the Lake Ontario State Parkway. It has notices not for commercial vehicles, but since we are not commercial one would think we are good to go. It is a spectacular road. Scenic, smooth, lightly traveled. What a nice road to drive.

You would think that until you came upon some beautiful bridges just over 11'0" tall. My point is simple. There are gotchas out there.

Super Slab driver. That's me.

Jon: Absolutely correct. The link is to a commercail trucker site. I had hopes that someone might have, or know of a similar compendium related to larger motorhomes and coaches. It is a start and I will try to get something done for an article and generously label it as an incomplete work in progress.

Bruce,

One thing I have going for me is a plane that is happy in 2000 feet or 11,000 runways.

But I still don't fly in hot MOAs which would be the equivalent of going exploring in a 47,000 pound 45 foot long bus. That's why we drag a car behind us.

Here is lots of info on Alpine:http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...num=1&ct=title

Mine is similar to the DVD-Rom unit.
    Last edited by garyde; 10-21-2008 at 11:10 PM.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

sawdust_128 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by garyde View Post
    Here is lots of info on Alpine:http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...num=1&ct=title

Mine is similar to the DVD-Rom unit.

Thanks. I'll check that out.

I found this on the Web, I knew you really agree with me Jon.

ROAD LESS TRAVELED

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth

Then took the other as just as fair
    And having perhaps the better claim
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear
    Though as for that, the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same

And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet, knowing how way leads onto way
    I doubted if I should ever come back

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence
    Two roads diverged in a wood
    And I took the one less traveled by
    And that has made all the difference

Jon Wehrenberg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 0533; 10-22-2008 at 02:01 PM.