Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tire chains?

Adam, if you are in WA. you have no doubt seen the signs stating " Vehicles over 10,000 lbs. must CARRY tire chains NOV.1 to APR. 1. I don't know of anyone in a coach ever being challenged on this but friends carry chains with NO intent to ever use them just to comply with WA. law. I never have and it has never been a problem. If I need chains, I'm with others that have posted to just park it, usually within 24 hours the restriction is lifted.
    Here in WA. we have 3 classifications for traction devices and mountain passes. 'No restrictions' , 'Traction tires or devices required' , Chains required'.

Oregon has much the same rules as Washington. We live 50 miles north of Pendleton, OR. On I84 just east of Pendleton is a 6-7 percent grade that carries on for several miles. Often in bad snow conditions, the TV station news will show the 'Several Miles Long' line of trucks that will not chain up. They wait it out and usually are gone in less than a day or two.

If you travel the Northwest in winter, all the states have really good DOT pass reports, road reports, often with real time video feed.

Probably more info than you care to have, but there you have it.

Larry

HI Adam,

We carry chains just for the last resort if we get caught in the snow. Would only use them to get to safety off the highway.
    Our 2001 CC XL had CC installed traction control. that worked very well.
    Some states we have traveled in, like California, you have to show you have chains to the 'Chain Monkeys> CHIPS. So, we have them, never used them. Here in Colorado, the bus is considered a commercial vehicle having more than ten seats, and weighs over 26,001 lbs. So, when the sign says, Chains Required", we delay our departure.
    As said above, the bus sticks to the road once you get started pretty well, but if it cuts loose, just hang on.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Adam: Find a map of the United States and notice the northern part is for summer, spring and fall. The southern part is for winter, spring and fall. When approaching the Sierra and the chains required signs are out, I shut down and wait it out. There is no trip important enough to chance a wreck.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

There is a Prevost Video which shows a Prevost in the snow drifting in a curve. It's not pretty. If you own a 2008 Prevost you will have computerized balance and braking for such incidents. Without it, you are likely to be going down the highway perpendicular to the road at the least and/or rolling the bus at the worst.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Default Thanks!

Thanks to everybody for the info. We have no intention of driving on ice and, if we were to drive on snow, it would only be for very short distances at very slow speeds. Was really just curious if I was missing something here. (with all the signs I saw advising chains be used.)

I really appreciate all of the help. Now a few days off from concertizing. (Just played a really nice show in Pendleton, OR. Great town!) Off to play in Anaconda, MT on Friday. Should be fun.

All my best.

Adam

Adam I carry a set of chains only for the signs "carry chains". I would never be able to get the chains over the top of wheels because of the fender shirts. I remember a few years ago when I asked this question someone wisely said "the reason they put wheels on these buses is to stay away from cold weather"
    GregM