Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R&R of fridge.

Default R&R of fridge.

Hi, does anyone have experience removing and replacing a fridge? Does it go out the windshield, side window, or where? There couldn't be enough room to take it out through the entry, could there?

Thanks, Larry

A fellow Prevost owner had the fridge replaced through the windsheild.

Hello Larry,

We replaced our fridge this spring at Marathon Fl. They took out the passenger side window along with the passenger seat. They then went through a process of protecting the dash, the side and center window pillars, even the front of the bus, along with the floor and galley areas with cardboard and moving blankets. The idea is to remove the old fridge carefully and move it to the open window and get it out. It will take 3 or 4 husky friends, best to use young nephews when possible. Once through the window try and line up a fork lift or have the buses front end aligned with a loading dock to allow the old fridge to be lowered down onto a surface quickly and for a good starting point for the new fridge to be put back in the bus. The key with the new fridge is not to have it on its side for more than 20 minutes (so say the experts) to avoid problems with the freon. Once the new unit is inside the next important step is to make sure that you secure it carefully into the old space so that it cannot come loose under all types of movement. And finally and maybe first make sure that the fridge you have chosen actually will fit, I mean measure it yourself including the hinges at the top, allow for swing room as well if you are changing configuration at all on the doors, (Ie. French doors etc) Also don't forget to remove the door locking device from the old fridge, as it may be possible to reuse this on the new unit. Don't forget to hook up the water to the unit and check for leaks before placing the unit back into the wall. I am sure I forgot something.

Wow, Bruce! That's a rather concise, yet comprehensive coverage of the process. I know who to call if I ever need to replace my refrigerator. I've got the forklift, if you can just bring the nephews.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Larry
    what is the year of your coach? If you have an XLII you can get it out the entrance door if its a counter depth frig by removing the refrigerator doors, and the passenger seat. Its tight but if you cover up all the furniture and anything that could come in contact with the refrigerator it can be done. Just put on you athletic supporter before you start.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

If you go through the windshield then you also want to protect your passenger side mirror and remove your windshield wiper arm. Do this before removing the windshield and be careful with the rubber strip that holds the windshield in place and the rubber seal the glass sits in not to damage either, and be sure to prep the area carefully before replacing the glass, clean out the rubber strip that holds the glass, make sure you have the right tools and another hand available when reinstalling the window glass. And finally check for leaks after the install.

Larry, Short answer is you have the most room through the windshield which is easy to remove and re-install. Have 2 huskey nephews on the inside and 2 outside. Use lots of padding. Good luck.

Brian is right. Its best to be part of the management on this project, control the event but do not do the heavy lifting.

One final thought. Make sure to remove all doors, all shelves, drawers, anything that can move anything that will lighten the load before removal and before bringing in the new unit. It also makes for better places to hold on to the fridge when caring without all the stuff to worry about.

I was told years ago to wait 24 hours before plugging in a refrigerator that has been laid over on it's side. Gives the compressor oil time to go back where it belongs. 24 hours may be overkill, but it has always worked for me. Not a job you want to do twice for sure.

Thanks for all the input, good ideas all.
    I don't have a bus as yet, but am considering a '97 Liberty and my thinking was as a 12 yrs old unit, the fridge might be nearing it's life span. Just trying to get ahead of the game.

Larry