Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Satellite Dish?

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Lew:

You may wish to check with Richard Simpson at Parliament. He seems to be able to come up with this stuff. Save some Lew Bucks and you get to fix it yourself?

lewpopp Guest

I bought a rebuilt from MotoSat and installed it today and all is perfect.

I'm sure it is a new unit, but when you purchase older style equipment, they list it as rebuilt as not to hurt the ones who purchased the same unit as new a year or so ago.

I do not know of anyone purchasing one of these antiquated systems in a long time but I had to go the most economical way.

Thanks for the heads up, but it's too late and I should have thought of Richard.

Jeff Bayley Guest

As a new member and relativly new RV'r (2.5 years ago bought first Prevost and first RV) I'm mostly learning things from this group but eager to put something back into the kitty here if I can.

To Kevin, I just tuned up my MotoSat Executive dish which is what I think you might have alos. It was original from 1997. It is an 18" self seeking but not in motion. This is my 2nd used Prevost in 2.5 years. I replaced the one on the 94 bus completley with an in motion system but I elected to leave the dish on this one and only replaced the old controller which is a real lemmon according to the MotoSat dealer I used. I replaced it with what they call the Nomad controler and it was $500. You push one button to get it to seek instead of having to input your city and all that junk which takes you through about 4 different screens. I left the original dish which is working fine (I never used the other one while moving anyhow on my other coach) and I also kept this dish because it is larger than the ones under the dome and supposedly picks up a better signal and might be less prone to rain issues, etc. If you decide to upgrade, get the newer Nomad controller (Nomade III I think) that works with HD and you also need the HD dish. I think you would get the HD dish and controller together in a package. Only a few channels on HD now I guess but you might as well get with that for a few bucks more. You could ask a MotoSat dealer you find (or call MotoSat) if you can buy just the Nomad III controller (I'm sure about this part) and then add the upgraded HD dish if and when your ready (I'm not sure about this part). I THINK I recall that the dish automatically comes with the controller in the package and you can break it up one way (controller only) but not the other (dish only that is).

In closing, can anyone tell why the Direct TV receiver stays hot enough to cook on even when you hit the power button and supposedly turn it off ? It is so hot that it cooked the CD motor on my Bose receiver which was stacked on top of it. I sometimes turn the breaker for everthing in that corner off overnight when dry camping figuring that all that heat must be taking power from the house batteries overnight. The thing get's so hot it almost seems like a fire hazard. Is there something wrong with my unit or is everyone elses doing this also ?

Jeff

The direct tv receiver never is off unless you pull the plug.

Its always recieving signals so it can update the guide and check on where your at, what your watching and even how many hours you sleep.

Just kidding about watching. It is always on line and will get quite warm. I'd put it on the top of the heap or keep it by its self.

Its a computer and it will generate a fair amount of heat.

Mike K.

win42 Guest

On our 1200 Mi.trip to Pog2, every night when we stopped we had to call Direc TV to get the satelite dialed in. Finally after talking to our Indian connection we were kicked upstairs to a supervisor that again got us going. She told us, after every 200 miles or so we needed to turn the system on and let it keep current with our new location. So far that has helped.
    h