Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Satellite Dish?

Against the current!

I have a KVH L3 and I like it. I have had some trouble, but the factory has been very good about sending cards as needed. My problems seemed to come from the power source I was using. When I purchased the coach, I had a new L3 (in motion) installed instead of moving the Datron low profile (flat) dish we had on the SOB. It worked off of a 12V source in the rear compartment and within two months the power supply board quit working. They sent a new one and I installed it and put in a 120V-12V converter. That worked for several months then the converter failed and took out the power supply again. Another card and a new converter with better filtering and its has worked great for about a year now. My wife would not travel without it.

The new KVH in motion unit has a control box with it that allows you to manually or automatically shift satellites for HD reception. The primary Direct TV bird only has a couple of HD channels on it so to "get it all" in HD, you need to reaim the dish to other birds. This gets complicated when you have more than one receiver as they may request different signals. You may see two dishes on coaches in the future. One for the front receiver and one for the rear or outside unit. With low profile, no big deal.

I would ask for two coax cables from whatever dish you install as many new receivers/DVR units will have two tuners, so you can record one channel while watching another or record two and watch a program already recorded. Great during football season.

And thats my Vote for KVH!

Mike K

Ben Guest

Mike,

I believe that the TracStar can do dual tuners using a single coax cable.

I've talked to many people in the industry (different converters, etc.) and they all recommend TracStar.

Mike, That's really what Roger's coach looks like after Mickey found out he posted a photo of her on the Internet in a bikini

And for what it's worth, I have a KVH TrackVision A5 (the low profile one you can't really see on the roof) and it pretty much works as advertised. I turn it on and it works going down the road or sitting still, as long is it is not blocked by trees or overpasses.

The service is DirectTV, so we pay the $5.99 to add it to our home account and go on down the road.

Fast Roger worked his magic and made the deal. We're going to be in TracStar city next week.

JW the first time a bird takes on dump on that flat antenna of yours, not only bye bye birdie but also bye bye oprah.

TracstarMango

Ben, No problem sending several signals over one cable. The problem comes with getting that one LNB (that the one cable is connected to) to see both vertical and horizontal polarity (or odd and even). The receivers send out a voltage which switches the LNB polarity from H to V as you change channels. No problem with one receiver, but put two or three or four on line and all receivers end up watching what ever is on the one polarity the LNB is switched to. Two LNB's, two cables to a "switch" and a separate cable to each tuner and every tuner sees every channel (on one satellite). The switch sets one LNB at vertical and one at horizontal and locks them. Then the output to the receiver sees the voltage asking for horizontal or vertical and picks or switches to that LNB input. Leaving the other outputs from the switch undisturbed. All can watch a vertical transponder or all can watch a horizontal transponder or any combination.

Most of the roof top dishes have an option for a second LNB so that two cables can be run. That use to be one to the rear and one to the front, but now with multi tuner boxes, you need two cables to every location.

HD makes it even more confusing because they are now using three satellites (on Direct TV) and may soon add three more. So your dish must be able to move to different satellites or be able to capture more than one satellite at a time.

As a disclaimer. I am responsible for several KU band up-links, one C band up-link and numerous down link sites. But that does not mean some one has not invented a new wabbit that works with one cable and "does it all". Probable just forgot to send me the notice (or I was napping). If your take is right, it will make everything much simpler. Then we just have to be concerned about seeing several satellites at one time.

Don't you love TECHNOLOGY?

AND, I still like KVH (but have nothing against TracStar) and would buy a flat or low profile if they can figure out the "dew" problem. I know, move to Arizona.

Mike,

Jeff told me birds only crapped on Libertys. What's up with that?

Just Plain Jeff Guest

I said that MY Liberty was crappy. And that I was trying to give you the big picture.

YOU said all Liberty's were crappy.

(All overheard in the shower of the Millennium and I have a witness).

You guys are all jealous. In fact at POG II, us guys with Libertys don't even want to park near you guys. A Liberty will win the bling award.

Remember, you heard it here first.

Default Moto-Sat Control box

I have the original Moto-Sat on my 99 Marathon, I am not ready to by the in-motion unit. My dish wants to lock on to the wrong satellite, I was told that if I update the unit it will fix the problem. $600 some dollars latter, I would just go for a complete new system. Just wondering if anybody has a used unit that might be newer than mine they want to part with?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Kevin,

Not sure if you got any response on this, but there's always used units being traded/sold at datastormmusers.com

Ray