Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My First

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default Search the Forum Posts

Geoff,

Welcome aboard. Two good sources for information. First, is to perform a search of the posts for the specific topic about which you are looking for information. The second is the "Articles" section. Jon W, known as A-1, just posted an article on three DDEC codes that will shut your engine off. Good reading. Print the Articles out and put them in a three ring binder - kept with the bus of course.

When you go to your first rally be on the lookout for any blow up sheep. They seem to an an affinity to attach themselves to new member buses for some unknown reason. Well sometimes it is in retaliation for snide remarks made here in the Forum.

I'm sure you will really enjoy full timing in a Prevost and your association with all the members of POG you meet somewhere on down the road.

Will

Welcome Geof, did you really have to pay to join this mess?

Yankee802 Guest

Jon,

Just skimmed over your article on Prevost Purchase Inspection, wish I had joined POG before purchase so I would have had this to help me, but I had at least an artile by Jeff Raymond at prevost-stuff to guide me. I have a request, I copied your maintenance schedule to start my own from, do you have anything specific, including the part numbers, for my 84's 8V92T?

Geoff

PS. Am browsing the other articles, think there maybe what I've just asked for further down.

PPS. Wow, thank you Jon for all your articles, this should put me on the right track.

PPPS. Jon, how do you keep your engine bay so clean? Is there an article to explain the best way to clean my engine and bays to that level safely?!?
    Last edited by Yankee802; 10-16-2008 at 11:53 PM.

Yankee802 Guest

I was told to keep the tire pressure on all tires at 110psi, but I found in one of Jon's articles this:

(Steer-105 PSI)
    (Drive-85 PSI)
    (Tag-90 PSI)

Which is correct, what does everyone else use for tire pressure?

I should probably appologize early, I'm really anal, and want to do the best I possibly can for my coach/HOME. If my wife thinks I'm anal about my BMWs, she aint seen nothing yet once I get the information on how to best clean my engine compartment.

Yankee802 Guest

Jon,

I noticed most of your articles have "Section #", is there a compiliation of all the sections available to us anywhere?

Geoff

PS. I'm sorry everyone, I guess I should either start a new thread, or send Jon a PM after gathering all my questions, instead of showing off how much of a noob I am.

Tire pressures are based on the tire manufacturer's chart for the weight on the tire.

Load your bus with all the stuff you normally carry, empty the holding tank and fill the fuel and water tanks and weigh the coach. Then look up the appropriate pressures for your specific weights and tire size

http://www.michelintruck.com/micheli...ion-tables.jsp

The numbers used to relate to the section in the Prevost service manual. They really are unimportant.

Apart from the pressure of having to uphold the honor of winning the first Anal Award (hence the A-1 designator) I found out a long time ago that keeping the engine and transmission clean is the easiest way to spot a leak quickly. I do not power wash my engine or transmission. I scrape or brush the heavy crud off and then use a solvent such as Simple Green or even paint thinner to dissolve the grease so I can hose it off with water.

You do not have a DDEC (computer controlled) engine so spraying water around your engine is unlikely to adversely affect anything. Once I get the engine as clean as possible I paint it to make leaks really show up.

You will quickly realize that these coaches while not excessively complex do have a lot of stuff that require routine maintenance. The quickest way to become overwhelmed and to end up with simple problems that turn into major issues is to ignore the little stuff. Almost everybody here will agree that staying on top of the details prevents having to spend some serious dollars for major repairs, such as ignoring hub seal leaks, tire pressures, fluid levels, replacing hoses or clamps, etc.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Geoff

The FIRST MARATHON PREVO. How is that.

We too have an older bus. I like to refer to them as pre-complicated

I marvel every time we get another member who is a first time RVer.

You stumbled into something you will only begin to appreciate fully as time goes on, both the bus and POG.

dalej Guest

Great Post Joe! two thumbs up just like McCain does it!

Yankee802 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Tire pressures are based on the tire manufacturer's chart for the weight on the tire.

Load your bus with all the stuff you normally carry, empty the holding tank and fill the fuel and water tanks and weigh the coach. Then look up the appropriate pressures for your specific weights and tire size.
    OMG, according to the charts, I'm WAY over in pressure on my tires at 110psi each, or I'm reading the chart wrong. I'll go look at my tires tomorow, but I think I have 11/22.5 and I weighed in at 29450 with less than 1/4 in water, full fuel and me (175lbs). So I'd guess around 30k with full water.

Geoff, ideally you need to weigh each tire, but weighing each individual axle is probably good enough.

You might find that your steer axle will require 110, but that the drives may require 80 or 85, and the tag 70. These are strictly guesses, and the actual pressures may be different because of your weights and tire size. If I recall your coach was originally equipped with 12/22.5 tires. If the weights do not exceed the ratings for the 11.00s stay with them because that size tire is available anywhere and is cheap relatively speaking.