Thread: VA camping area?

Default VA camping area?

I will be leaving Bob and Debi in Landrum SC. Next scheduled stop currently is just over the border of Maryland, where I can drive back and stop at Mango Mikes.

Looking for somewhere reasonble to stop for on night in between. Kathy is interested in seeing Monticello, which I believe is in the Charlottesville area of VA.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good place to stay in that general area? It looks like I will be heading up I81 through VA before cutting over to MD.

Thanks,
    Ray

One I ran across looks promising, but reviews were mixed on rvparkreviews.com.

Walnut Hills Campground in Staunton, VA.

http://www.walnuthillscampground.com/

Anyone ever stayed there? I'm only basically looking for an overnight stay, and maybe spending part of a day over to see Charlottesville.

Ray

Hey Ray, are you in your new coach?

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default Monticello

Ray,

Yes Monticello is in Charlottesville Virginia. Staunton is in the Shenandoah Valley on the west side of a mountain range from Charlottesville. Have you tried checking in the Charlottesville area for a campground?

I attended Virginia Tech back in the late 1960's and used to go parts of I-81 and US 11 then a US route over the mountain and into Charlottesville where I picked up US 29 north to I-66 (I think) and on into Washington. My final destination was Baltimore, Maryland. Unfortunately, I do not have knowledge of campsites available in the area.

One site that you should take advantage of seeing that is not far off I-81 is in Bedford, Virginia. The National D-Day Memorial is there. Bedford is a short distance north from Roanoke, Virginia. Carole and I visited the Memorial in 2002 shortly after my Dad passed away. It is impressive and haunting. There are "bus parking" areas. Bedford Virginia lost more citizens during the D-Day invasion than any other locale in America on a per capita basis. The memorial is on top of a hill and most likely much better than when Carole and I went in 2002 when it had just opened to visitors.