Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: California Tax Payers

Mel,

I was just tossing a little gas on this deal since I haven't heard much from the Foamy Orange Tennessee boys. They seem to be hiding out but I don't hold out much hope for us this week. Mizzou is a great team with a great offense and in the next five weeks we play #2, #5, #7 and #1, so our strength of schedule is about to go thru the roof.

But I did have a great BBQ lunch today courtesy of Mr. McNew and the Collie Humpers.

Gig'em

Default California's new law

Hey (Calif) POGgers,

Beginning Jan 1, 2009 any motorhome/bus purchased outside of California will have to wait 12 months before entering the state in order to avoid paying State Use Tax (which is equal to sales tax I think). This according to the Auto Club magazine just received by yours truely. And you better have some good documentation of where the bus lived for those 12 months too.

Ken; The one year law started on September 24th 2008. Yes we handed the CA board of equaliztion a thick envelope of receipts for out of state fuel, food, storage etch. They audited it and gave us our tax exemption certificate.
    Harry

Shirley & Harry / 2000 Liberty / 2008 GMC Envoy Denali

Default thats not the end of either

On the list for new or increased taxes is a return to the original formula for determining your license free for any vehicle in California. The original formula was a license fee of 2% of the value of whatever you drove. It was that way for years-just like Nevada and I'm sure its that way in many states. At the start if the 3rd year the plate started to depreciate with the vehicles value. Some years ago when Gray Davis was governator they had a surplus. There were many proposals of how to give the surplus back to the residents. The one that stuck was lowering the plate basis to about .65% and thats where it is today.

When the state again went into the red during Davis' term there was a clause in the law that returned the fee to the standard 2%. By that time half the state was buying expensive SUV's and the increase really stunned a lot of people. That was a rallying cry during Davis' recall then Arnolds election. Literally the same day he was sworn in his first act was to return the license fee to the .65% of value. I'm pretty certain before the year is out they'll be back to the 2% rule. Doesn't sound like much but if your paying 1,000.00 now that will be 3,000.00 soon.

The most current proposal passed but vetoed by the Governator also made almost everything taxable-even labor. You visit your accountant he taxes your invoice. Now thats a low blow. I bought a subway sandwich the other day and found out if they toast it its taxable-if they don't its not taxable. When will it ever end.

Default Any motor vehicle and boatz 2

Quote Originally Posted by bluevost View Post
    Hey (Calif) POGgers,

Beginning Jan 1, 2009 any motorhome/bus purchased outside of California will have to wait 12 months before entering the state in order to avoid paying State Use Tax (which is equal to sales tax I think). This according to the Auto Club magazine just received by yours truely. And you better have some good documentation of where the bus lived for those 12 months too.
    Ken,

There's are a few little zingers lurking in that statute as well; its been snugged up a bit since the last rendition thanks to the FTB. The primary purpose of the vehicle must be for use outside of the State of California, for those who were residents at the time of purchase, and one must maintain a fairly decent paper trail.....fuel receipts, meals, groceries and best of all....a reason! That's right, the FTB wants to know why you were keeping something out of state. Sticking a motorhome into an RV Park to save use tax is not a good answer! The Franchise Tax Board will tax the vehicle at the prevailing rate (by county/city) then add a nice little laundry list of penalty's which, after a year, will be another 100% if they suspect the above, which they will! I have been told that their latest trick is to advise the state where the vehicle is or was kep't....that's no bueno either, wherein they will also collect a "finders fee". Oregon, with no sales tax, will seek to recover state income taxes. I really think this loophole has been closed.

John

If you are retired ( not workiong in the state of CA ) and do not take a home owners tax deduction on your home in CA. Establish residence in another state, license you vehicles out of state, you can exist as a visitor in CA. All this is pure conjecture on my part a non attorney. Or you can vote to clean house in the California state government and get rid of the big spenders. If you people residing in other states think your safe from extreme taxation, think again. Every thing starts in CA and spreads like weeds.
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by hhoppe View Post
    If you are retired ( not workiong in the state of CA ) and do not take a home owners tax deduction on your home in CA. Establish residence in another state, license you vehicles out of state, you can exist as a visitor in CA. All this is pure conjecture on my part a non attorney. Or you can vote to clean house in the California state government and get rid of the big spenders. If you people residing in other states think your safe from extreme taxation, think again. Every thing starts in CA and spreads like weeds.
    Harry,

Exactly what I did however I kep't my wife as a California Resident thus HE exemption is still ok. George Bush does it, hell, we should all do it!

You can start cleaning house by unelecting my girl friend Nancy Pelosi, part of the Burton legacy.....ugggh! And what about that scammer Willie Brown, he is still part of the picture even though he screws his sock on every morning. Buy something out of state (AZ, OR or NEV) make it YOUR home and keep your wife in California. At the end of the day the tax money you save will buy you a damn fine place out of state! I know a California native shoud not be saying this but.........or should that be butt?

John

Hi Harry. Special interests and Unions have been the 'bag man' for our politicians in California for years. There motto is ' if it moves, breathes, blinks, or farts, tax it. Anyway, Sales taxes & income taxes inevitably will be going up, so buy 'on-line when you can.
    It is also only a matter of time voters get fed up and vote these Losers out of office.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Gary: No chance voting them out. I live in a county 80% registered Republicans and the majority of the presidential vote went to the Mesiah. No hope in this state. It's gonna take bread lines to wake them up unfortunately. I was born in a depression. Ididn't think I'd have to die in one.
    Harry

California is not alone.

As former NYers we are watching that state self destruct. CA has decent weather. NY does not so the migration out of the state is apparent. What the wizards there are doing is for the moment freezing the income and sales taxes, but raising billions in fees on everything from license plates to hunting licenses to every permit known to man.

The costs for the younger people living in the state are going through the roof, yet no one has the balls to suggest cutting welfare benefits which are very generous. As a result the welfare constituency climbs, while the wage earners and young kids just getting out of college are bailing out.

NY will be the first state to go bankrupt and instead of changing its ways the rest of the country will contribute to its tax and spend mentality so the politicians can keep buying the votes of the welfare bums.