Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tires=fuel?!

Note, at the URL listed above, there are several videos. The one titled "Things RV Owners Should Know" is very good, and deals with weighing, weights, tires, inflation and several other things generally good to know.

Ray

Well, we watched the video, scoured their website and didn't see anything about how these things actually work.
    The HENSLEY HITCH website has the same characteristics as this one, in they really don' want you know what their product does. HENSLEY HITCH says their hitch will prevent travel trailer sway on all accounts. When you corner them at an RV Show, they dance all around the question how it works.
    For similar money, go with SMART TIRE, if you need more peace of mind.
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
    Well, we watched the video, scoured their website and didn't see anything about how these things actually work.
    The HENSLEY HITCH website has the same characteristics as this one, in they really don' want you know what their product does. HENSLEY HITCH says their hitch will prevent travel trailer sway on all accounts. When you corner them at an RV Show, they dance all around the question how it works.
    For similar money, go with SMART TIRE, if you need more peace of mind.
    Call me stupid as well. I can not understand how this product works either.

When you blow out your tire and it comes apart (does it still come apart) are you riding on the metal band?? wrapped around some rubber??? The video does not show what actually occurs very well.

I like the idea of added safety but would want to see this one up close. Lot of material between the tread and the wheel to screw up the balance and road handling.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

The sky is falling chicken little, run.

Thanks for all of the responses. I don't understand how it works either, but I hope to be better educated next week when I see the Tyron band in person.

I think that if this product does what it claims, it will be a wonderful safety feature. Since it is impossible to determine when a tire will blow I feel that I would like to have a device like this to protect me and my family. The only front tire blow out that I have experienced occurred on a straight stretch of I-25. The coach tracked straight, I pulled over to the shoulder and stopped. I have not had ANY special training on what to do when a front tire blows. I just pressed on the brakes and pulled over onto the shoulder. Who knows what would have happened if I had been rounding a curve; it might have been a different outcome.

I am going to continue investigating this system. I'll keep everyone posted on my findings.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

If you really are that interested in spending money Tuga, put it in the Prevost purchase fund coffee can. Or you can send it to me.

I was reading on Tyron's website again this morning and found this link.
    http://www.tyron.com/pages/extended_runflat.htm

It is for automobile tires and does not say anything about RVs. This system is easy to understand; the car would simply ride on the inside collar.

It seems that there are two different systems: one is for cars and has a collar inside the tire that the car rides on and the other one is just a band that seems not to support anything! Confusing!

I am going to dig into this and find out how it works.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

I found out today that the Tyron Run Flat system for motorhomes IMO is not what I would want to buy. Simply, I can not see how it can support a blown out tire! It is only a metal band that fits into the well of the rim.

The Run flat system that is made for cars seems to be more viable for blow outs. It is about 4" high and is mounted inside the tire, so if the tire blows the tire is supported by the "inner" core.

I have instead purchased a Smart Tire system; it measures tire pressure and temperature and displays the info on a monitor mounted to the dash board. I have it on my front tires and plan to put it on my tow vehicle.

Thanks for all of the opinions you guys have saved me some money and I feel that I have purchased the better of the two systems.

It pays to belong to POG!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Smart Choice Tuga. I purchased the Smartire system for my bus. I'll let you know how it works some time next week.

I purchased a 12 sensor system, internally-mounted which covers the toad and all 8 coach tires. I also got a remote (fairly cheep) monitor for just the toad, which allows me to monitor tires while driving just the toad.

Smartire now makes a really nice 2 in round guage, which fits nicely in the dash, and doesn't look quite so like the hokey plastic add-on, velcro'd to the dash. I'll see how it actually looks next week too.

Fingers crossed that it was the right choice, but given the recent couple of incidents with tires, I'm glad I did it.

Ray

Tuga, not trying Cloud the Issue here, but I was looking at the new Newells on-line today, just for the heck of it, and noticed they have both the SmartTire System, and the Tyron Run Flat system installed.

They must believe in both systems?

Gary S.