Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tires=fuel?!

Default Tires=fuel?!

A quick update on my tire issue.... and a startling discovery.

Things got to the point (in my head) that I just wasn't comfortable anymore with the steering tires. That terrible occurrence about the front tire blow out, wife ejected and run over was enough for me to err on the side of caution.

So I decided to start looking for new front tires. Some uneven wear lead me to look faster. I was at a truck tire dealer to get the fronts rotated to the back and my nicer looking rear tires moved up to the front when the salesman pushed my buttons. He said that he had a tire that would be as good or better than the XZA1's. I asked if he was sure it would work as well. ( I wasn't in THAT big of a hurry for new front tires.) He promised me they would be great and that I wouldn't notice the difference. He sold me 2 Firestone FS400s. Short story: I removed them today and put on new XZA1's after I lucked into a dealer that had them in stock. Dealer #1 is getting Firestones UPS'd back to him and I'm expecting a refund.

Long story: allow me to list how the firestone FS400s suck.

1. Immediately, I could tell that the bus didn't handle as well. The firestones seemed to track differently. IMO, in a random patter. Could just take some getting used to.

2. They heated up something fierce! Hot, hot, hot to the touch after a couple hundred miles. Filled cold to 120PSI, they got up to over 150 PSI. (My front end weights almost 15K, and this NEVER happened with the XZA's.... today with the new XZAs, also filled to 120, no problem at all.)

3. Maybe the most startling discovery of all.... driving the speed limit (55-65 depending on the road) and similar terrain, I averaged 6.6MPG with the firestones and 8.5MPG with the XZAs. This amazed me. This alone justifies the more expensive XZAs. Does this surprise anybody else? Ok, even if the wind was a LITTLE different, alomst 2MPG better?

This direct comparison was very eye opening to me. I for one will by sticking with the Mich. XZA1's for as long as I can find them... even if the price goes up.

BTW, the Firestones, for two tires, installed were $1000. The XZAs were $1500. At 2MPG difference and fuel prices nearing $4 per gallon, certainly worth the difference.

~Adam

Default Tyron Run Flat system

Adam,

If you are concerned about front tire safety; take a look at this website
    http://www.runflat.com/

I am having this system installed on my coach next week. According to the manufacturer you will maintain full control after a front tire blow out. The system for both front tires is $1200 installed. The inner band can be removed when you sell the coach and installed on your new coach.

IMO this is about the best investment anyone could make for a motorhome.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

With all due respect Tuga, as in aviation the greatest safety device possible is a well trained operator behind the wheel. Nothing will ever replace the benefits of having a highly trained driver who is proficient. Everything else is perhaps helpful, but in a distant second place.

Jon,

Do you think that this system will work? Will it prevent a driver who is NOT highly trained in handling a blow out to maintain control of his coach? Before I spend $1200 I would like to know your opinion and the opinion of others.

Thanks.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Petervs Guest

Tuga,

I do not see it as a needed safety device. Their website states:

"Anyone who has driven an RV knows how dangerous a steering axle tire blowout can be. We have now fitted over 5,000 Class A motor coaches with Tyron."

This is supposed to convince you. They provide no data to support their claim. Sorry, I am not convinced. I see the risk as exceedingly small, and if there is a blowout on a front tire, this MIGHT help, but there are plenty of cases where a front blowout resulted in no loss of control. If you happen to have Howard Steering, you are already one step ahead.

Also, just because the military and fire departments use it, well, they are spending other peoples money. If you can get this installed but paid for by the government, I would get them!

Constant monitoring of proper tire pressure is probably a better investment of your time and energy.

Tuga, I like the idea of what it might provide a driver in case of a front tire blowout, but what does it do to the balance of the front tires and alignement ?

The video says you do not need to rebalance the tire because you only broke the one bead to install, but with that heavy metal band inside your tires, I would think it would throw off balance and possibly the alignment??

Just my thoughts !

Gary S.

Ditto what Peter said. If you experience a blowout or sudden loss of tire pressure you the driver can retain complete control as long as you do not do anything sudden. Yes the coach will pull towards the failed tire, but as long as you do nothing initially but manage the steering wheel to retain control there is unlikely to be any danger.

I think blowouts are a hazard when the driver jerks the wheel, or rapidly takes his foot from the gas pedal, or worse, hits the brakes. I don't think any of us needs to practice by having someone shoot out our tires, but if we mentally review the techniques to handle a blowout routinely we will be as prepared as we need to be.

Someone posted a video on handling blowouts recently. That video shows clearly a blowout is a non-event if handled properly.

Someone posted a video on handling blowouts recently. That video shows clearly a blowout is a non-event if handled properly.
    The video also very clearly indicated to initially accellerate when the blowout occurs. Something I didn't realize, mentioned, and got scolded for.

Default video

where is this video? I seem to have missed it.

Adam,

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...deos-demos.jsp

Click on the link there to the one titled "Critical Factor".

Ray