Thread: Where is the power steering reservoir?

Tully Guest

Default Where is the power steering reservoir?

I have a 1990 Country Coach. I am getting a little steering wheel chatter when I turn the wheel to the left or right. The coach has been sitting for several weeks and I just noticed this when I start the coach up today.

I want to check the fluid level on the power steering. Where would this be located.

What type of fluid should I use.

Thanks,

Tully

Tully..............Facing the engine compartment, its on the upper left side. Black tank with a yellow dip stick.

My 1999 XL45', facing the engine compartment, it is on the upper right just above and behind to the left of the air filter. It is a black cylinder (about a 12" tall and the same in diameter) with a screw top.

Attached Image:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tully Guest

Found it, was low.

Says to use Dextron.

Where do you purchase Dextron power steering fluid?

Thanks,

Tully

Orren Zook Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tully View Post
    Found it, was low. Says to use Dextron. Where do you purchase Dextron power steering fluid? Tully
    It's automatic transmission fluid - you can get it at any auto parts store

I had mine checked at Prevost, as I was complaining about a squealing sounds when turning at slow speeds after running for long periods on the highway, especially at the end of the day coming off ramps etc.

Prevost said that they were transitioning from the light weight Power steering fluids to a heavier weight oil that seems to work better, and in my case made a huge difference all around, even makes the steering more responsive in my opinion. Prevost can tell you what the oil is, but it is definitely not your typical power steering fluid. I would only consider this if you are prepared to change out all of the oil.

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default Power Steering Fluid Leakage

Tully,

So your power steering fluid is a little low. Do you know where the fluid went? I have just recently suffered the same problem on my 1990/1991 CC 8V92. You might want to check the curbside rear of the engine/front of the bellhousing to see if the area is "wet" or after moving the bus from a stored location check the floor for fluid. Seems there is a little dime sized rubber o-ring thingy that has a tendency to leak power steering fluid about every two years or so that is part of the power steering pump. To get at it for repairs requires one to be skinny, lay down across the chasis batteries and be very flexible (bend your arms into a pretzel shape). I'm too big around, can't lay down, and am stiff in the arms and neck. I took the bus to a local bus tour company and they fixed it and gave me a spare o-ring to carry with me in case it happens while on the road.

I got the advice on where to look for the problem and the probable solution from Joe C and Ray Davis.

If you don't have one, I can send you an exploded diagram of the power steering pump assembly so you can see the pieces involved in the repair.

Good Luck ...

Lightbulb

If my memory serves me right, Deb and Eric might need this fix. They had a wetness in that area of their engine. We talked about it at Spearfish.

Maybe it wasn't them, but Ed and Sandy.

Well, it was someone at Spearfish.