Thread: XZA1's anybody?

Default XZA1's anybody?

No intention of starting a debate over tire brands here. Just wondering if anybody knows of a place that has, or can get at least 2 XZA1 Pilotes in or near the following cities (and can vouch for the place):

Charleston, WV, Nashville, Near New Iberia, LA, Dallas/FW ?? A good deal would be nice.

My front tires are probably fine, if not a little old, but I'm thinking of at least bringing them in for inspection. Tread is plenty deep, tires are a little crackled looking. But before I get them looked at, I'd like to know if they have them in stock in case I need to make a change. Lots of miles ahead of us, two rambunctious kids that like to NOT be in the seat belts all the time. Don't want a front tire blow out if I can do something to prevent it.

Also, is there any sense in getting all tires inspected and valve stems replaced annually? Should I be doing that?

Thanks,

Adam

Hi Adam. If you have cracking, have them inspected very soon. The side walls are where the tires will blow if old and weak.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Adam,

As best as I was told Pilotes are no longer available. The replacement is the Michelin Energy
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Hi Adam

It isin't nessessary to change the valve stems. You should know these intimitly full timing and racking up the kind of miles you are. Keep an eye on them for sure. I too had valve stem leaks with those tire sensors and lost air till I noticed it. You should become your own best tire inspector.

Are you aware of the tire code stamped on the tire and how to tell age?

You seem to have caught you steer tires starting to crack, you know what you are looking at. If the cracks are small I will guess they are 5 or 6 years old. If you could find a spot to keep one to carry for a spare if you ever have a problem you will be glad you got it.

If you are ever in doubt about an object in the road or a curb clipt stop and take a brake take a GOOD look. The side wall is quite delicate and can be compramised without too much effort.

Do you have coveralls? A good habit would be maybe once a week, or so, put on a pair and do a good 360 degree inspection. You could rotate the cost of tires by getting 2 at a time, always putting them on the front and rotating the old to the rear and have new steers often.

Are you still keeping 125lbs in your steers? That might be a little too much.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Hi Adam

It isin't nessessary to change the valve stems. You should know these intimitly full timing and racking up the kind of miles you are. Keep an eye on them for sure. I too had valve stem leaks with those tire sensors and lost air till I noticed it. You should become your own best tire inspector.

Are you aware of the tire code stamped on the tire and how to tell age?

You seem to have caught you steer tires starting to crack, you know what you are looking at. If the cracks are small I will guess they are 5 or 6 years old. If you could find a spot to keep one to carry for a spare if you ever have a problem you will be glad you got it.

If you are ever in doubt about an object in the road or a curb clipt stop and take a brake take a GOOD look. The side wall is quite delicate and can be compramised without too much effort. NEVER rub up against curbs with the drives, both around a corner or parralell parking.

Do you have coveralls? A good habit would be maybe once a week, or so, put on a pair and do a good 360 degree inspection. You could rotate the cost of tires by getting 2 at a time, always putting them on the front and rotating the old to the rear and have new steers often.

Are you still keeping 125lbs in your steers? That might be a little too much.

If you ever need tire thru Chicago I can help you.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 09-24-2008 at 12:04 AM.

Default Tires in Dallas

Call Marathon in Dallas and they can tell you where to get tires. Dan
    Danss 1999 Vogue, 03 Chev. Trailblazer

Strangely enough tires are getting harder to find, at least Michelins are. I just had all new rubber put on my new coach, and they had to wait several weeks for tires to come in.

Evidently Greyhound is now using Michelin as their source of tires, and they are gobbling up a lot of the available inventory!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post
    Strangely enough tires are getting harder to find, at least Michelins are. I just had all new rubber put on my new coach, and they had to wait several weeks for tires to come in.

Evidently Greyhound is now using Michelin as their source of tires, and they are gobbling up a lot of the available inventory!
    I have heard this as well. I was inspecting my Michelin Energy (new in the last 6 months) tires recently and noticed that they were made in Spain, found this to be interesting. I was somewhat surprised as Spain is on the Euro and thought this might be driving up the price and maybe the availability.

I just got a quote on replacement Michelin tires here locally in NJ and the XZA1 was available, but would require a couple of weeks wait for delivery.

I was told by the sales guy to forget about getting the Energy model as Greyhound was buying them all, and there was about zero chance of getting any.

Quote was $795 each for the XZA1 mounted, new valve stems, and with my choice of either Equal or spin balancing. A credit of approximately $100 to $120/ used tire trade-in based on their inspection of them.