Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wet Cell Batteries

Default Wet Cell Batteries

While at Spearfish, I determined that I had one bad inverter. I ordered a new one from Xantrex. My old one may have been bad for a while since I was plugged into AC for the 5 months I was in Yellowstone, so I hadn't noticed a problem with the inverter. Upon closer inspection, I also determined that I had a bad 300 Amp T Series fuse.

Since my batteries are easily accessible, I pulled them partially out at Spearfish and decided that they all needed water. At that time, there was no sign that there had ever been any acid boil over. I added water until the level reached the bottom of the filler tube. This was obviously a mistake. Some of them boiled water/acid out on the way home. I removed all of them, washed the racks, wire brushed and sanded them, applied Ospho, primed and painted any metal that had been affected. A lot of trouble for something I caused myself. The batteries are about 2 1/2 years old, and when I checked the voltage, I determined that two of them are bad. After charging overnight, they go to 10.5 volts as soon as a test load is applied. I checked the new ones I bought today, and the water level is about 1/2 inch below the bottom of the filler tube. That may sound insignificant but that is a lot of water in each cell.

I don't know if my inverter went bad and blew the 300 Amp fuse and damaged my two batteries, if the fuse went bad and caused the inverter to fail, or the batteries went bad and caused the whole problem. I do know that I caused myself considerable trouble by over filling the batteries.

I know, I could have AGM batteries and not had this problem. I also know it was really nice to get 8D batteries for $145 each. Since this appears to be the first problem with the batteries and since they are very easy to access, I couldn't see buying all AGMs just because two of mine are bad. Of course, if I had AGMs, I might be buying 2 of them if the inverter was the cause of the problem.

The first picture was after I had washed, sanded and applied Ospho to the racks, so they look worse than before I started. There was no damage from battery acid, but there was a little surface rust. The white in the picture is the Ospho I applied.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dale farley; 10-12-2008 at 11:31 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Default 300 Amp T Series Fuse

I am not sure if the 300 Amp T Series fuses are only found on the CC conversions. There are 2 on my bus, and they are located in the fuse panel between the two inverters. I do assume that any Prevost with similar inverters has similar fuses, since they are mentioned in the Xantrex operator's manual.

When I started searching for a replacement I was surprised to find that the cost was from $48 to $98 on the internet. The local prices were $65-$95 with a 5-day delivery. After much searching, I finally found a source that will deliver the fuse for $28. If anyone ever needs one of these, here is a good source.

John Drake Services, Inc.
    1427 E. 68th Street
    Long Beach, CA 90805
    562-423-4879
    www.solarseller.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dale & Paulette

Dale you might think you caused part of the problem but you sure did a nice job cleaning up the mess. It's got to be a good feeling knowing that area is ship shape. Well done.
    Would a plastic shield have prevented the problem??

Hi Dale. I discovered one or more of my batteries (Gel type) was bad at the Rally as well. It was gassing off pretty bad. I checked with Liberty and they recommended replacing with Gel again. As my batteries are in the belly of the coach, it does not make sense to have water filled.
    My Country coach had 4 water filled batteries and I replaced all 4 when one went bad as the charge rate and the load rate would have been a problem in replacing just one.
    My Liberty batteries are in parrallel/Series which basically means I need to replace all 4 of them. Jim Skiff gave me Lifelines phone # and has set up a discount for POG members.
    Jon recommended Glass matt batteries so I am kind of weighing the two types.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Ted, I wondered about some plastic trays, but maybe they don't want to hold the acid in that area if it boils out. Evidently, there had been no previous problem, because the area was spotless before I over filled the batteries. The area under the batteries has wire mesh. I assume this is to allow ventilation. A plastic tray would reduce that ventilation.

Gary, I was also a little concerned about replacing two of the batteries, but I charged them with an external charger, then checked the voltage after applying a load test, and the voltage is virtually the same on all batteries, so I don't think there will be a charging problem. I hated to throw away 4 batteries that are only 2 1/2 years old. I also talked to the people at Interstate Batteries, and they said there should not be a problem with charging all 6 as long as they were all in good condition.
    Dale & Paulette

Dale,

There is a cost consideration, a maintenance issue, and a hassle factor to consider when any of us has to deal with replacing batteries.

There is no way I would ever want lead acid batteries in your set up. First, I expect well maintained sealed batteries (AGM or Gel) will never require you to service them with water, clean corroded terminals or spill acid. There is a value there. Second, your set lasted about half the life to be expected of the AGM or Gel so the cost consideration is not so cut and dried. But in my mind the biggest draw back to replacing with lead acid is the fumes in the enclosed space with electrical gear sharing that space. Consider me silly but I want my hydrogen gas producing batteries out in the open and well ventilated.

I think replacing two is false economy unless you don't expect to do any dry camping, in which case just leave the two bad ones in the trash and use the four remaining ones.

Tully Guest

I have just run into a problem with my batteries as well.

I bought (4) Excide 950cld crank batteries back in April. No problems.

My bus has been sitting in my parking lot for the last 5 weeks. I went to start the bus and- nothing.

I did notice that I neglected to shut of the two main power switches in the back and suspect that is the cause of the battery drain.

My question, I have pulled each battery out and have charged them. I put a volt meter on them and cannot get a reading above 10.5 volts. All of them ready between 8- 10.5 volts. This is after doing a full charge on them.

I used a 10amp automatic charger that will charge to capacity and then shut off.

No luck. I did check the levels and they appear to be fine.

Are the batteries bad if I cannot get a reading about 10.5 volts. Could all four batteries go bad? Seems odd?

I am going to take all four batteries back to Chicao International Trucks where I purchased them and have them tested.

If all four are bad, I would assume since they are only five months old I would get some type of refund or pro-rated refund?

Tully

Dale, Thanks for the terrific follow-up. I'm sure we can all learn from your sad experience of the over-fill. I second Jon's comments about no maintenance batteries. I've been using AGM's for about 3 years now and really think they're superior to anything else in the poor access installation found on the Liberty.

Tully, A 10amp charger is way too small for charging a flat battery. When parking for an extended time you need to turn off both of the chassis battery switches.

Well, I knew I would get "somewhat trashed" for running wet cell batteries, and I knew I would also take a hit for changing two of them.

My rationale was that since the previous owner had only changed the battereis one time (June 06) and had never had a problem other than routine maintenance, the setup must not be that bad. If I thought the batteries caused my inverter and 300 amp fuse to go bad (I doubt this), I wouldn't hesitate to go a different direction.

I do very little dry camping, so I will probably maintain my current setup until the other four batteries reach 5 years old (or die), and at that time, I will decide if I need to change to AGMs. My last two RVs had AGMs and two out of the 6 in each coach died prematurely. Maybe I have a "2-bad" battery syndrone!

I understand the benefits and drawbacks of AGMs, and if my batteries were located in a difficult place to access, that in itself would be enough incentive for me to change to sealed batteries. My main reasons for the initial post was to warn others not to overfill their batteries and to provide a good source for the 300 amp fuse. I must be "nuts", I could have just said, "I changed my inverter and all is well." But since I haven't installed the inverter, fuse or batteries yet, you may hear from me again on this issue.
    Dale & Paulette

Dale, I always enjoy the HONESTY in your Threads ! Keep them coming.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty