Thread: Wet Cell Batteries

Hybrid View

Well, I knew I would get "somewhat trashed" for running wet cell batteries, and I knew I would also take a hit for changing two of them.

My rationale was that since the previous owner had only changed the battereis one time (June 06) and had never had a problem other than routine maintenance, the setup must not be that bad. If I thought the batteries caused my inverter and 300 amp fuse to go bad (I doubt this), I wouldn't hesitate to go a different direction.

I do very little dry camping, so I will probably maintain my current setup until the other four batteries reach 5 years old (or die), and at that time, I will decide if I need to change to AGMs. My last two RVs had AGMs and two out of the 6 in each coach died prematurely. Maybe I have a "2-bad" battery syndrone!

I understand the benefits and drawbacks of AGMs, and if my batteries were located in a difficult place to access, that in itself would be enough incentive for me to change to sealed batteries. My main reasons for the initial post was to warn others not to overfill their batteries and to provide a good source for the 300 amp fuse. I must be "nuts", I could have just said, "I changed my inverter and all is well." But since I haven't installed the inverter, fuse or batteries yet, you may hear from me again on this issue.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Dale, I always enjoy the HONESTY in your Threads ! Keep them coming.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Jim K. , Thanks for the encouragement. I do understand that my "honesty" is sometiems interpreted as maybe a little "stupidity" by some of the more distinugished POGGERS.
    Dale & Paulette

Dale, Honesty is a precious commodity in this outfit where it's common to make up answers if the facts can be twisted, intentionally misunderstood, or just plain ignored.

Dale,

Given the fact you do very little dry camping, that the battery location is in fact ventilated, I would remove the 2 bad batteries and operate solely with the remaining four, and only when they start to act up would I consider replacement. Four batteries of that size will last all night long unless you really run a lot more than just the refrigerator and some lighting.

Replacing only two gives me a little concern, and in the context of how you use the coach dragging six batteries around is overkill.

Jon, I agree with your rationale, but since I have already bought the two replacement batteries, I will use them until I have another problem. Hopefully, the 270 pounds extra weight will be balanced by the fact that I will have the extra capacity if ever needed, and I won't have to remove the cables for the two absent batteries. I dislike the modification of things from their original configuration unless absolutely necessary.
    Dale & Paulette

Dale,

Don't second guess your decisions. You gave rational thought to this whole issue and have valid reasons for your choice.

We are nothing but second guessers who do not have a dog in the fight.